fifteen

a good twenty minutes into the show, hyunjin saw seungmin rest his head on jisung's shoulder in his peripheral vision.

he felt that weird thing in his stomach again and shifted on the couch, bringing himself slightly closer to jisung "accidentally". he didn't know why he was doing this, he wasn't really thinking straight and his body was just...moving for him.

a funny scene must've come up because both seungmin and jisung burst into laughter, but hyunjin hadn't really been paying attention. his mind was on the way seungmin was wrapping his arms around jisung and trying to figure out why he wanted to do the same thing. or just take jisung from seungmin. it was completely unreasonable and hyunjin had no idea where this was coming from. it was ridiculous. jisung hated him and he hated jisung. he didn't need to be thinking about that.

but jisung burst into laughter again and hyunjin saw seungmin smiling up at him. but gosh...jisung's laugh was so adorable.

after the show, seungmin had a class to get to, so jisung got up and walked him to the door. jisung came back and saw hyunjin staring at him. he rolled his lips inside of his mouth nervously and looked around.

"do i have something on my face?" he laughed nervously.

"no," hyunjin continued to stare at him, however.

"y-you're staring..."

"sorry," hyunjin's gaze lasted on him for one more moment before he looked away.

jisung let out his breath slowly and walked back to the couch, sitting down and pulling his phone out. he realized that he and hyunjin had not only just done something together that friends would do, but they also just had a fairly normal conversation. and by that, he means they weren't screaming at each other.

jisung suddenly wondered if hyunjin still hated him. and for some reason, he had courage right now. he put his phone down on the table.

"hyunjin?"
"jisung?"

jisung looked up as he heard hyunjin speak at the same time.

"hmm?" hyunjin looked up at him too.

"oh...you can go first," jisung reached up to his neck and rubbed at it nervously.

"oh. i...well uh...i've been thinking," hyunjin paused.

"you've been thinking...about...?"

"well uh...i mean, we're not...we're not little kids,"

"well yeah, thanks captain obvious," jisung chuckled softly but stopped as he realized hyunjin was frowning, "what?"

"i was just...i've been thinking...don't you think this whole rivalry thing...is...a little childish? we're grown men..." hyunjin laughed a bit and fidgeted with his hands.

"oh,"

jisung froze, but he blinked a few times. did he hear that correctly?

"you...you mean..." jisung struggled to form a sentence, feeling hot all of a sudden.

"i mean that we should try and understand each other. we live together, and it's not really gonna change whether we like it or not," hyunjin sounded hesitant, as if he was almost afraid jisung was going to laugh at him and call him insane.

"wha..." jisung was in shock, "so...s-so you don't hate me then?" his voice came out a lot smaller than he would've wished.

hyunjin was silent for a moment.

"no," he sighed, "no, i don't hate you,"

happiness and pure joy swirled within jisung and his lips nearly pulled up into a smile, but he held it back.

"you don't-" hyunjin began.

"i don't hate you either. that's actually what i was going to say too," jisung interrupted, "when i was uh 'living' with chan i...kinda thought it through...everything. and i realized exactly what you just said," jisung smiled slightly, "our relationship was totally ridiculous and childish and i wondered...i wondered if we'd ever be able to move on from it, honestly,"

hyunjin laughed and jisung licked his lips, butterflies in his stomach. they were silent for a moment. suddenly, the couch shifted and jisung turned to see hyunjin scooting closer to him. his eyes widened as he watched.

"what are you.."

"we can start over, then?" hyunjin looked at him uncertainly and their eyes met, "i'm fine with it," he smiled gently.

"i...of course," jisung smiled back.

hyunjin reached out his hand.

"friends?" hyunjin searched his eyes, "and legitimately for us starting over—not just to ease our friends' suffering, right?"

jisung nodded and reached up to slide his hand into hyunjin's slightly larger one as though they were meeting for the first time, grasping it gently yet firmly, watching the way hyunjin's fingers curled around his hands slightly. he looked back up at hyunjin, smiling as the butterflies inside him went wild.

"friends,"