Chapter 28

I was woken up by the loud noise of my alarm. My eyes wandered around the bedroom, trying to search for my wife. I decided to search for her around the house as I couldn't find her in our room.

Once I arrived at the kitchen, I thought that drinking some water could help me to calm down from the anxiety that is kicking me as I couldn't find any trace of my wife's existence in the house. When I am about to open the refrigerator's door, I saw a piece of sticky note on it.

"I already made some breakfast for you. I am out with the ladies. I will see you after work, babe. Don't forget that we have a mini reunion at 7pm at Chaeryuna's house 😉"

I sighed and smiled over the little text that I got from her. To be truth, I totally forgot that we would have our mini reunion tonight, not until I read the note.

I went over to my room to have a quick shower. I then walked into our huge wardrobe, taking a suit that has been prepared by my lovely wife before she left. I need to appear very pleasantly as today I will be presenting my client in the court. I then made my way to the car and drove it to the Palace of Justice, in which the Federal Court is located at.

Being a counsel is really not a relaxing job to do. I need to prepare months and it could consume my time up to a year, if I am handling huge cases, before presenting it in front of a judge. The preparation is too tiring as I am obligated to find evidences related to the case, and also reading a lot of case laws, in order to refer it as a precedent while submitting my submission in court. At sometimes, I need to read up to hundreds of cases just to refer it as a precedent in order to make my arguments firmer and accepted by the sitting judges.

Not to mention the experiences that I have faced during the submission, being yelled by the judge is really a common thing to be experienced with. You are not a true lawyer if you never being yelled at by the judges for even once.

I suddenly remembered my first time submitting my case in court as a junior counsel. I was too anxious, until I accidentally greeted the judge not by his name and it resulted me being charged for a contempt of court. I chuckled lightly, reminiscing my experiences as a junior lawyer four years ago. It has been quite a long time since I started my work as a lawyer.

"Hello, Attorney Hwang. It is nice to meet you. I am hoping to win the final battle with you today." Mr Lee, one of my classmates in my law school greeted me as soon as I get out of my car. He will be my opposing lawyer for today.

Yes, this is my final submission for this case as it is already appeared in the Federal Court, the highest court in the Federation in which, if there is any more dispute arose after the final judgment from the judge, it will not be submitted again in court. I inhaled deeply, before walking into the court with a small luggage in my hand.

Once I entered the courtroom, I was greeted by my junior counsel who have arrived earlier. We then prepared our seat and arranged the papers and evidences that are going to be used during the submission.

"If I am have no further assistance to this court, that shall end my submission. Thank you for your time and indulgence." With that, I am done with my submission for today.

The judges then discussed among themselves, leaving the lawyers from both sides, representing both appellants and respondents, being anxious on what the judgment will be.

The head judge then cleared his throat before giving his judgments on this case. Our appeal was dismissed, leaving joy to the opposing party. I smiled and bowed to the judges when they left the court room.

"Are you okay, Attorney Hwang?" my junior counsel stood in front of me, concerns could be seen from her eyes.

I smiled timidly before answering, "I am okay, Zee. I am just quite disappointed in myself for not being able to stand for my client's rights. All of my sacrifices are all going to drains now."

I chuckled lightly before continuing, "However, I know that I will not win in each and every time I submit in court. This is a lesson for me to prepare more thoroughly for the upcoming cases."

With that, I walked over Mr Lee, giving a handshake and congratulate him for being able to stand for his client's right. Nobody is guilty until he is proven guilty. And today is a bright day for his client to be escaped from his liability towards my client.

After having a small talk with him, I walked to my car together with my junior counsel and headed back to the firm. Once we arrived there, I locked myself in the room, scanning and reading thoroughly the data and evidences for the next submission which is scheduled to be two months from now I don't want to miss anything as it could ruin the future on my client.

It was a long day at work. I am tired, but also happy at the same time. I made my way to Chaeryuna's place. Once I arrived, the guard who was already informed on my arrival opened the gate for me. I parked the car beside the owner's car in the garage. I then walked hurriedly towards the dining room of the large house, earning some pairs of eye rolls from my friends as I am late for about fifteen minutes.

"You are late, Attorney Hwang." I turned my head towards the owner of the voice upon hearing her remarks.

"I am sorry, Mrs Hwang." I kissed her cheeks and hugged her side.

"You are always late, Yeji. I am wondering on how you able to arrive early for your submissions in courts, but not for our gatherings." Yuna said while giving me a confused look.

"You are ought to do what you are ought to do, Yuna. I don't want to be charged for contempt of court again, it is such a shame for me, young lady."