7

BLOODLINES
— 7. Death of a Monarch

    It was noontime and Lizbeth walked with Henry through the gardens at Westminster

It was noontime and Lizbeth walked with Henry through the gardens at Westminster. Henry had his arm wrapped around her as they walked together, enjoying the sun and fresh air.

"Fresh air is tonic for us both," Henry told his wife, a small smile on his face.

"It is my last look before so long in darkness during my confinement," Lizbeth explained, a disappointed look on her face.

"Your confinement will pass swiftly, my love, and then you will be back in my arms with our newborn son," Henry explained, grabbing ahold of Lizbeth's hands before holding it in his own.

"My mother once warned me to guide my heart, for Arthur didn't belong to me, he belonged to the throne of England. Just like his namesake," Lizbeth explained, causing Henry to sigh in defeat.

"He belongs to a greater throne now," He assured her and Lizbeth felt uneasy as she placed a hand on her belly.

"She lost four sons, all of which were destined to be kings. One of them was a king. So many destinies were cut short," She explained, tears threatening to spill from her eyes as she turned to face her husband and looked up at him, "Henry, was it worth it? Did so many people have to die so that we could hold the throne?"

"We've had eight years of peace," Henry reminded Lizbeth, letting out a large sigh, "And I would do it all again for England and for you, my love. We have much to be grateful for. Four children grown, one more soon to be with us, an alliance sealed with Scotland."

"And our love all these years," Lizbeth whispered softly as she stared up at Henry, "The love that will never fade, no matter what."

Henry smiled, nodding his head before he began to lean forward. He cupped her face in his hands and kissed her passionately. Slowly, he pulled away and smiled down at Lizbeth lovingly, "Hold onto that love. For it will keep you strong."

Lizbeth smiled and nodded, grabbing ahold of Henry's hands before they continued to walk together.

____

That night, Henry called for a dinner involving his wife, his children, and Catherine. Marie, however, was the only one who wasn't there.

Catherine was sitting next to Mary, telling her the backstory of Pomegranates and how they came from paradise.

"Well, you can be sure of one thing," Meg suddenly spoke up in a sarcastic tone, "None of them came from Scotland, which is far from paradise."

Kathy and Harry turned to each other, both of them rolling their eyes while Mary giggled.

"Come," Catherine encouraged the young girl with a smile on her face, "Let's play hide-and-seek."

After Mary stood up, Catherine took a long moment to do so. Before she did, in fact, stand up, she looked over at Harry, both of them exchanging a lingering glance.