8

BLOODLINES
— 8. Mourning

  A month had passed and everyone seemed to be in a somber mood after the death of their queen Lizbeth

At an Inn in London, a group of men sat together, speaking in a hushed tone about the problem at hand. "The king is dead," One of the men whispered to the others in a hushed tone, "Why else would he miss his own wife's funeral? No one saw him at the abbey, and they haven't seen him since. God hates the bloody Tudors and we all know it. He's killing them, and punishing the lot of us for their sins."

"We know someone's mustering men in France," Another man at the table spoke up, "I've got my ideas on it. But whoever it is, they're forming a great army to get a York back on the throne. We heard they need men here to join, and I say the time is right—"

Before he could finish speaking, the door to the inn busted opening, revealing Tudor guards.

Alarmed, most of the men rose to their feet, all but one. They ran, only to have each and every one of them be caught.

All but the one who was sitting down and none of the men even tried to get near him. He slowly stood up and someone wearing a hooded cloak moved toward him. Slowly, they removed their cloak, revealing themselves to be Kathy.

She stopped when she was standing in front of him and held out a small pouch of gold. "You will tell My Lady, the King's mother..." She trailed off, taking out a single gold coin from the pouch before handing it to him, "everything they said. And then you shall get the rest of this," She paused, shaking the pouch of gold, "But first, you must tell me of what they said."

The man nodded, wasting no time beginning to tell Kathy all of what he heard.

_____

At the Tower of London, Henry sat on the floor of an empty room, which contained a cage with a one-eyed lion inside. He had a blank look on his face, too depressed after his wife's death to do anything but sit there in silence.

Even when he heard approaching footsteps, Henry didn't turn, already having the feeling it was either his mother or Kathy. They seemed to be visiting him constantly, trying to snap him out of his depressed state.

"Henry," Margaret called out as she entered the room and Henry didn't even bother to turn to her, "Henry...It's been a month. You need to eat, and you need to bathe. The people think that you're dead. Kathy's spies tell us so. The city is a tinderbox."

"Not everything is neatly ordered like your printed page, Mother," Henry spoke up in an annoyed tone.

Margaret sighed in frustration, beginning to move closer to her son. "The people fear you have abandoned them. You must show them that you're strong and well, insist that our allies flush out this faceless man who musters against us in France. And why is the Spanish girl still here?" She asked in annoyance, "She has no child. We must come to terms with Spain and what to do with her."