42

BLOODLINES
— 42.  My Margaret

  Into the night, the rioting continued, even when Henry and the court arrived back from France

  Into the night, the rioting continued, even when Henry and the court arrived back from France. Kathy was among those on horseback, feeling uneasy as they all struggled to ride through the chaos. "How do we get through?" Henry asked the group loudly, "For the love of God, Stafford, protect my daughter and the queen."

Without having to be told a second time, Edward unsheathed his sword and exchanged a look with Kathy. Kathy continued to glance around uneasily, knowing that if she had been in England, she would have made sure the taxes never amount to a riot like the one they were experiencing now.

"Mary?" Kathy suddenly heard Catherine call out, causing her to turn, "No...Where...Where is she? Mary!"

"Stay on your horse, Your Grace. I will find her," Edward insisted as he wasted no time climbing off his horse.

"I will as well," Kathy announced before anyone could stop her. She slipped off her horse and dug into the satchel attached to her horse, revealing a sword.

With that, she walked forward, exchanging a look with Henry before she ran off to find Mary. "Mary?" She called out to her niece in concern, "Mary, where are you?"

It wasn't long before she found the girl, standing in front of a man's dead body. Kathy sighed in defeat and walked toward the girl, who was staring down at the man's dead body. She placed a hand on the girl's shoulder, causing Mary to look up at her aunt.

"You're safe now, Mary. Nothing is going to hurt you," Kathy assured her and Mary shook her head at her.

"I'm not afraid, Aunt Kathy," She answered calmly and Kathy smiled down at the girl.

She was on the verge of replying, only to be cut off when Edward, Henry, and Catherine arrived. Catherine rushed over to her and hugged her tightly, but Mary didn't hug back.

Kathy glanced down at the girl, seeing a bit of herself in her.

It wasn't long before they arrived at Westminster and when they did, it wasn't long before Edward locked eyes on his wife. "Marie!" He called out and Marie turned to him, her eyes widening in surprise.

"Edward!" She exclaimed, wasting no time running toward him.

Edward sighed in relief and hugged her tightly, grateful to see her safe. Slowly, he pulled away from the hug, cupping her face in his hands. "Are you alright? What's happening?" He asked her in concern and Marie stared up at him, tears in her eyes.

"I don't care about the risks of staying at court, Edward, I don't care. I cannot stay in that home in London. It was a nightmare. The riots...they branded my door, for being a foreigner. If I stay there any longer, I believe the children and I will come to harm. I must stay here. I must be here with you," She pleaded, and Edward immediately nodded his head, "Please don't leave me when I need you the most."