18

BLOODLINES
— 18. Arranged Marriage

   Morning time soon arrived and Marie sat at her vanity as her appointed ladies styled her hair for the occasion and made sure her dress was properly on

Kathy stood near her friend, overlooking the whole occasion. She wanted nothing more than to stop it from happening, but she couldn't. Harry wasn't even there to help her. He had fled the castle with Charlie to avoid having to be forced to watch the girl he loved marry another.

Just then, there was a knock on the door. Marie felt uneasy while Kathy sighed in frustration and walked over to the door. She opened it, revealing Lord Stafford to be standing there.

"Ew," Kathy muttered under her breath as she glared at the man. Of course, the man wasn't bad-looking, even Kathy could admit that, but she didn't like the idea of him marrying Marie.

"May I have a moment alone with my soon-to-be wife?" Lord Stafford asked Kathy, who continued to glare at him.

Kathy rolled her eyes and turned to the other ladies, who curtsied before their princess before leaving the room.

Kathy took a moment, glancing between Stafford and Marie before she left as well, despite feeling hesitant to do so.

Marie turned to face Lord Stafford, an uneasy look on her face.

"I know you're not happy about this marriage," He spoke up, letting out a large sigh in defeat, "Neither am I, if I'm being honest."

"Then, why are you marrying me?" Marie asked, giving Lord Stafford a look of disbelief.

"Have you met the King's Mother?" He asked her, staring at her with wide eyes, "It is impossible to say no to her if you want to keep your head."

Marie couldn't help herself and her lips curled upwards, finding the comment to be true.

"You look beautiful, my lady," Lord Stafford complimented her and Marie nodded her head in response as she looked down at the ground, "But I have something that will make you look far better."

Marie slowly looked up at Lord Stafford, her eyes widening as she watched him hold up a necklace she knew all too well.

"A bit morbid to say but the Tudors were unable to bury Nora of Lancaster beside King Edward wearing this, given..." He trailed off awkwardly when he referred to her being beheaded but the moment he saw the look on her face, he sighed, "Anyways, it was stored at the Tower with the rest of the belongings nobody wanted to get rid of that used to be hers. I thought you'd like to have this."