44

BLOODLINES
— 44.  Defiance

  At the King's Council meeting, Catherine and Henry sat upon their thrones while Thomas Boleyn, Charlie, Kathy, and Edward Stafford were among those who sat at the long table in front of them

  At the King's Council meeting, Catherine and Henry sat upon their thrones while Thomas Boleyn, Charlie, Kathy, and Edward Stafford were among those who sat at the long table in front of them. Numerous papers were laid out on the table, which showed the Lutheran pamphlets that had floating around England of late.

"Printed upon London presses and sent all over the country," Thomas More spoke up in a calm tone as he folded his hands together.

"And the hideous poison spreads," Catherine added in a stern tone.

"Now, they say the Church cannot absolve sin and that giving alms does not cleanse the soul," Thomas continued, causing Wolsey to sigh and shake his head in disapproval.

"Then what do they think Christ died for?" Catherine complained, letting out a large scoff, "Sin can be washed away. We can be made clean again by God's grace."

"The queen is quite correct," Wolsey responded, earning a weird look from Kathy since she had never seen them agree before, "Both in her disgust at this filth but also in her ecumenical argument against it."

"God be praised we destroyed a press in Blackfriars," Thomas More spoke under his breath.

"One press will not stop it," Catherine argued and Kathy turned to exchange a look with Charlie.

"We have mustered men from the palace barracks," Thomas Boleyn informed the group calmly, "Rest assured, there'll be many more arrests."

"Good," Henry responded in a calm tone, "The rats must be stamped out."

"Are we not in danger of hysteria?" Edward Stafford suddenly asked, causing Kathy to turn to him with a surprised look on her face as she sat beside him.

"How so?" Charlie asked his friend curiously.

"This group of fanatics is a tiny minority," Edward pointed out to the group in a calm tone.

There was a long moment of silence as everyone glanced around, clearly surprised that Edward had spoken against what the king had said.

Kathy smiled slightly. She clearly knew it was about time someone other than her argued against what Henry said when he was wrong instead of keeping their mouth shut because they were afraid.

"A dangerous group, nonetheless," Thomas Boleyn spoke up and Kathy scoffed. She could have sworn she had heard rumors that he himself was secretly a Lutheran alongside his daughters, "The king and queen are right to pronounce heresy and treason."

"So we waste men and taxes that our army needs—" Stafford began to complain, only to be interrupted by Catherine.

"One spark can burn a city, Lord Stafford!" Catherine exclaimed in a stern tone, "But instead, a fire must be made of this filth, as the cardinal calls it."