21

BLOODLINES
— 21. Loss of Power

    Just moments after Kathy had arrived back at the castle with the rest of the Privy Councilmen, Harry had arrived back from wherever he had been at

Kathy was getting ready to scold her brother on how late he was, only to freeze when he saw Marie riding on a horse beside him.

Her eyes widened and she smiled slightly at the sight, only to see that Lord Stafford clearly didn't feel the same way as he stopped when he was standing beside her.

He sighed in frustration, clearly not happy about the sight of Marie and Harry arriving together. He hadn't even known she had left the castle in the first place.

"Love live the king," Kathy finally spoke up, being the first to kneel with the rest of the people in the courtyard following soon after.

"Banners will be lowered to half-station for my father," Harry announced in a loud tone to the people standing in the courtyard, "Do it now."

Harry climbed off his horse and made his way over to Marie's horse. He turned to glance at Lord Stafford, who was watching them intently, almost jealously. Harry sent him a small smirk, just before moving closer to Marie. He grabbed her by the waist, just before helping her off her horse.

Harry and Marie exchanged a look with each other as he placed her on the ground. He slowly let go of her and Marie nodded at him, "Announce the marriage to Catherine," She whispered to him and Harry nodded, watching as she walked over to Lord Stafford.

Harry stood in place and looked over at Catherine, gesturing for her to walk over. She smiled softly and nodded, wasting no time with making her way over to him. Once she made it, Harry grabbed her by the hand and turned to address the court. "Princess Catherine is to be your queen," He announced, much to the shock of his people, including Catherine herself, "Be sure the palace knows it."

As Harry walked away with Catherine, he quickly glanced over at Marie, who was avoiding contact with him as she stood at her husband's side.

He smiled, shaking his head at her actions before he walked away with his wife.

"What were you doing with him?" Marie's husband asked once Harry was out of sight.

"I—" She began to say, only to be cut off when Kathy walked over to them.

"I sent her to go fetch Harry," Kathy suddenly spoke up, lying for Marie, "It wasn't right that my Lady Grandmother had sent men to fetch Harry without them knowing my father was dead. Harry needed to know the truth before he got here and I knew it needed to be the right person to tell him the news. They may not be involved with each other anymore but Harry still trusts Marie almost as much as he trusts me. He needed to hear it from her. All of it was my doing."