17

BLOODLINES
— 17. Letters

   Days had passed since Marie's conversation with Joanna and Marie felt concerned when she found Harry nowhere in the castle

   Days had passed since Marie's conversation with Joanna and Marie felt concerned when she found Harry nowhere in the castle. He hadn't even come to visit her as he usually did and she didn't see Kathy anywhere either. It concerned her.

She ended up insisted to see the King, but instead, Lord Stafford ended up bringing her to Lady Margaret.

Lady Margaret had been sitting in a chair near the fireplace, her head leaning back. However, the moment she saw Lord Stafford escort Marie in, she sighed in frustration and turned to look at them

Marie walked forward until she was standing in front of Lady Margaret. She forced a smile onto her face and curtsied before the King's Mother.

"I was told I could see the king," Marie complained in a calm tone.

"The King?" Margaret practically laughed, an amused look appearing on her face, "Do you suppose he idles here, girl? He has weddings to arrange."

"Then I ask to see Prince Harry," Marie insisted, trying not to sound demanding.

"Prince Harry is no longer here. I thought you'd have realized that by now," Margaret informed Marie, trying to hide her annoyance and disdain for the girl standing before her, "He's gone to get ready for his wedding to your niece, Princess Eleanor."

"I beg your pardon?" Marie frowned, a look of disbelief on her face.

"Did Kathy not tell you?" Margaret asked, acting as though she cared, "It was arranged before your brother and his wife left."

"Harry will not marry Eleanor," Marie scoffed, shaking her head desperately, "He is betrothed to me."

"Do not presume to lecture me in the law," Margaret argued in a stern tone, "A bended knee is not a contract. The Prince of Wales has repudiated you."

"That can't be true. Harry wouldn't do that," Marie complained as she shook her head in disagreement, "He would not abandon me. Not like this."

He couldn't. She gave him her maidenhead. He couldn't abandon her now.

"Alas, my lady, a young man's gaze can be inconstant, fickle," Lord Stafford spoke up, causing Marie to turn to glare at him.

"Not when it comes to me," Margaret snapped at him, refusing it to believe it.

"You're quite full of yourself," Lord Stafford remarked and Marie simply smiled at him.

"I have reason to be," She retorted with an attitude.

"Prince Harry is in Spain for his wedding to your niece," Margaret informed Marie in a calm tone, "She's already fertile, so she will bear him heirs when the marriage is concluded. Prince Harry and his sister, Mary, will double-stitch our alliance with your country and Spain, and you will have no part in it."