46

BLOODLINES
— 46. Execution

   At Edward's trial, Marie sat with her son Edward, her stepson Henry, her daughter Nora, and Ursula Pole in the front row

At Edward's trial, Marie sat with her son Edward, her stepson Henry, her daughter Nora, and Ursula Pole in the front row. Her husband stood before the king in front, looking directly at Henry and Catherine, who sat upon their thrones. Kathy sat across from Marie beside Charlie and Mary, trying to contain her anger.

"Thank you, friar," Wolsey had stated before walking forward, "So...we have heard the Lord Stafford consulted false prophets and necromancers to ascertain the future of the king's reign and if he would produce an heir."

"Childish gossip, Your Majesty," Catherine spoke up as she turned to look directly at Henry, "Lord Stafford is a God-fearing Christian who attends Mass every day. And in France, I believe he was the first to offer Your Majesty's great victory in Tournai up to God."

"Yet, this good friar tells us that Stafford came to the monastery at St. Tristan because he heard there was a book that predicted the king's death," He explained, causing Kathy to scoff and roll her eyes.

"Is there such a book, Cardinal?" Catherine suddenly asked Wolsey in an almost sarcastic tone.

"There is not," Wolsey answered and shook his head.

"Ah, pity," Catherine replied, smiling in amusement, "Well, if there were, I, too, would be intrigued to see it."

Kathy couldn't help but smile at Catherine's words while many others laughed.

"One of the queen's own ladies came to me with the most troubling news...that she heard Lord Stafford with the queen, saying that—" Thomas Boleyn began to say, only to stop and sigh, "I can hardly bear to say these words."

"Well, just blurt it out already, Wiltshire. We're all waiting," Kathy spoke up in an aggravated tone as she rolled her eyes.

"Saying that...if the king were to never have an heir, it would be God's judgment upon him," Boleyn announced, causing Marie to frown in concern, "He said...that if another prince were to die, it would sit right with him."

"I never said that!" Edward immediately spoke up and shook his head.

"You were heard, sir—" Boleyn began to say, moving closer to Edward.

"I never said that!" Edward snapped at Boleyn angrily and Marie began to tear up.

She felt uneasy and shifted uncomfortably in her seat. She took a deep breath, placing a hand over her growing belly.

Her son Edward noticed his mother's actions and sighed, wasting time grabbing ahold of his mother's hand to hold.

"I...I said that God's plans are mysterious. I was merely trying to comfort the queen!" Edward continued to explain as Boleyn walked away from him.