13

BLOODLINES
—13. As If It Never Was

     That night, Marie fell asleep rather quickly, only to be suddenly woken up by the sound of a voice she hadn't heard in years speaking to her

"A Tudor boy kisses you and everything I've taught you is undone?" Nora complained, causing Marie's eyes to wide in horror as she immediately sat up from lying in bed, "I thought you were better than that. I thought you had learned from my mistake's and Lizbeth's. The Tudors will bring you nothing but pain and heartbreak. You know that, yet still you allow yourself to fall in love with the worst of them all."

"Harry isn't bad. He is good," Marie argued defensively, beginning to glare at Nora.

"I found myself defending Edward like that all the time, you know. Even when he did something to me that should have been unforgivable. You continue going down this path and you will end up just me, but only worse. You will always have his love, but his eyes will always wander. You never be his wife. He'll have many wives, but none of them will ever be you. You will be branded as nothing more than the king's whore during his reign, just like I was during Edward's. But unlike me, you will never accomplish more than that. You will have your wits but it will mean nothing as a foreigner surrounded by Tudor men."

"No," Marie argued, tears beginning to form in her eyes as she shook her head.

"He will bring you pain. More pain than Edward ever brought me. He will break the world because of his impulsive decisions and still, you will be foolish enough to stand by him," Nora explained as she slowly began to move toward Marie's bed.

"You are wrong," Marie argued in a stern tone.

"I am not. I was you once. I know how kings like him function. Harry will do things as the king. Things that a king should never do. It will tear England apart and you with it," Nora explained in a low, threatening tone, "You should get out while you still can or be forced to stand witness to the atrocities he puts this poor country through."

Marie suddenly gasped as her eyes opened, finding herself now to be woken up by the nightmare. She glanced around, feeling deeply uneasy about the whole ordeal.

_____

It was around dawn when Kathy found herself in agony. She screamed in pain, but concealed it by doing it into a pillow. She clutched her belly, feeling indescribable pain there.

As she sat up and cried out, her ladies tried to move toward her, only to stop when Kathy lifted her hand."I'm fine, I'm fine," She insisted as the ladies watched her in concern, "Just a bad dream. Fetch Marie of Burgundy, will you?"

The ladies nodded, bowing their heads to Kathy before they left the room.

Once they were gone, Kathy winced in pain as she slowly lifted the covers, only to loudly gasp in horror at the sight of her nightgown and sheets covered in blood. She cried out, horrified by the sight. She was miscarrying.