35

BLOODLINES
— 35. Infidel

     It was nighttime and at court, Marie walked toward the long table set out in the dining hall

     It was nighttime and at court, Marie walked toward the long table set out in the dining hall. She walked toward her seat beside her husband, rolling her eyes as she watched Wolsey seat Anne Hastings to Henry's right.

"What does that butcher's boy think he's doing?" Thomas Boleyn asked Charlie and Marie as he let out a large scoff.

"I've seen you chattering with the king, Wiltshire," Charlie retorted in a taunting tone, "You're not above your own maneuvers."

"No idea what you're—" Thomas began to say, causing both Charlie and Marie to laugh as they stumbled and leaned against each other for support, "You're drunk, Brandon. As are you, Lady Stafford."

"So what if we are?" Marie retorted and she and Charlie chuckled as they sat down in their seats across from each other.

"Lady Anne, perhaps you'd like to make a toast to the newly promised couple, given that you are lady aunt to the happy groom," Henry spoke up and Anne began to smile at Henry widely.

"I-I-If Your Grace wishes," Anne replied before standing up, smiling as she raised her glass, "To my nephew Henry Stafford and his betrothed, Ursula Pole. I wish you many children and all the joys of love."

"Hear, hear," The group spoke up as they raised their glasses as well.

"The wedding night is brutal, Ursula," Anne spoke up as she leaned closer to the girl.

"Go easy on her, boy," Edward commented, causing Marie and Charlie to laugh.

"But you will only ever be a virgin once and will be glad when it is passed," Anne continued to explain with an assuring smile on her face.

"He won't," Charlie remarked and Marie laughed once more but was quick to cover her mouth.

"I mean to say..." She trailed off and leaned closer to Ursula, "There will be blood."

"Well, not every maid is thus afflicted," Henry spoke up and Marie turned to him, a puzzled look on her face.

"Oh, yes, they are. The first time, yes," Anne informed him, causing Henry's smile to fade.

Marie's eyes widened and she turned, exchanging a look with Maggie. Henry was clearly thinking about Catherine.

Unable to take the tension any longer, Maggie smiled and raised her glass. "As mother to the bride, I would like to wish Henry and Ursula good health, good fortunes, and a nursery full of babies."

"Your health," Marie spoke up and many others followed after her.

"To Wolsey's swift demise," Stafford spoke in a low tone as he took a sip of his wine.

Marie smiled and turned to her head to glance at him. "Hear, hear," She replied softly, nodding at his words.

____