19

BLOODLINES
— 19. Death of a King

  The following day started with all of the York traitors being arrested and locked up in the Tower of London

Henry woke up the next morning, coughing. Before he could even get out of bed, Margaret waltzed in, much to his annoyance.

"We should ring the bells in victory," Margaret insisted, an enthusiastic look on her face, "Every traitor netted overnight and taken to the Tower. And Margaret Pole was found this morning, so she will be taken there, too," She explained, following Henry as he stood up and walked over to a servant who held his robe.

Henry groaned, rolling his eyes at his mother. "There's a small army gathering outside, Henry," Margaret continued on, not caring that her son was annoyed by his presence, "You planning to arrest the whole of London?"

"The French are restless in Europe, and the pope has fears for Venice," Henry quickly told his mother as he placed his robe on, "I am sending men to Kent, where the French can feel us watching them. And if King Louis decides to march to us as well as south to Venice, then we will be ready for him," He paused, beginning to cough.

"You are peaky," Margaret complained, moving closer to Henry in concern.

"I didn't sleep," Henry confessed calmly, "I just need some spearmint for my chest, and it will pass."

Margaret stared her son closely, a part of her feeling concerned.

____

  At Tower of London, the guards led Maggie and her daughter to a cell separate to the one the rest of the traitors were in. "You're lucky I don't put you in there with all the men like I did your cousin," One of the guards commented, referring to Lizzie.

"Mother!" Maggie's son, Henry, suddenly called out, causing Maggie to run over to the door of the other cell.

"Henry," She sighed in relief, grabbing her son's hands.

"May God save us all, cousin," Lizzie told Maggie as she stood behind Henry alongside Edmund.

"Lizzie, Edmund," Maggie said softly as she glanced between the duo before looking at her son once more, "I would have killed them if I could."

"Come on, that's enough," The guards demanded, dragging Maggie away from her son and over to her cell.

___

Maggie had been shocked when Marie arrived at her cell with news of her being able to move to another cell. "I spoke to the Warden and warned him that God would judge him if he did not move you to a better cell," She explained, a small smile on her face as they walked to the new cell together, "And the fool ended up believing me."