12

BLOODLINES
—12. In God's Arms

    In the Privy Council room, Kathy sat with her father, grandmother, and the rest of the Privy Council, looking pale

"Maximilian has yet again refused to hand over the traitors Edmund of York and Lizzie Plantagenet. Even with the news of the King marrying his daughter, he has continued to do so," Margaret explained and many of the men sighed in frustration, "We have offered trade deals, money. God knows his country needs it, but still, he has refused."

"He is coming for me," Henry spoke up, a nervous look on his face, "Because of what happened to Nora. He was fond of her. Just like everyone else. He means to claim vengeance on me," He paused, turning to glance over at Edmund Dudely, "Dudley, where's my army?"

"Ah, yes, Your Grace," Dudley began to say, only to have everyone's head turn when Harry entered the council meeting lately.

"Your Grace," Everyone but Henry, Margaret, and Kathy stood to greet and bow to their prince.

As they sat down, Dudley continued to explain the whole ordeal to the king and the rest of the council. "The military expansion is a costly venture—"

"Uh, sorry," Harry spoke up and sat in the back of the room near his grandmother on a large chair instead of at the actual table, "Why do we need men? Wh-Why are we expanding?"

Margaret turned to her grandson, giving an outrageous look. "Because the threat of an invasion led by Edmund of York—"

"Oh, right. Edmund, the York," Harry answered in an almost sarcastic tone, "Son of the brother Mother killed alongside Nora of Lancaster. George, was it?"

"Yes," Margaret confirmed, trying to contain her anger as she turned to look back at the rest of the council.

"We had agreed on a defense tax, but it'll take time to raise the funds to pay the men—" Dudley began to explain, only to be cut off once more.

"Well, then don't raise them," Harry suggested as he leaned back in his seat, "You are hell-bent on robbing the people. Pull men from the armies of all the nobles sitting here. Stafford, how large is your retinue, three-hundred men, four-hundred?"

Kathy sighed, facepalming herself. "Harry, enough," She wanted her brother, who continued on.

"What, Kathy?" Harry asked his sister with an attitude, "If we centralize the military, our father wouldn't have to beg and simper to all these men like a serving maid."

Margaret turned to Harry with wide eyes while Kathy tensed up, knowing that as her father chuckled, he was on the verge of yelling at Henry in front of everyone.

"My son is angry, because a girl who he is obsessively in love with, prefers a king to a boy," Henry spoke up in a calm tone and Harry looked down at the ground, trying to contain his anger, "He is so fond of bringing up Nora of Lancaster as of late, but as I recall, she was just like Marie in that way. She preferred the famous King Edward to my uncle, Jasper Tudor. But you didn't see my Uncle Jasper acting like a spoiled brat as you are when it happened, did we?" He explained, beginning to speak in a louder, angrier tone as he went on, "Perhaps if my son spent less time on girls and ale, and roping his elder sister into his trouble-causing ways, he would know we are already drawing men from all these noble houses!"