25

BLOODLINES
— 25. Entrapment

It was nighttime and Marie walked into the nursery

It was nighttime and Marie walked into the nursery. She smiled and made her way over to her son's cradle, where he laid asleep. She stared down at him, admiring his sleeping figure.

She began to wonder what his life would be like when he grew older. Would be a lord, a duke? She had no clue but she hoped he had good things in store for him in the future.

"It's a shame he won't be king one day," A voice suddenly spoke up, causing Marie to sigh in defeat as she turned to see Kathy standing there, "He'd have the blood of the Hapsburgs, Burgundians, the Yorks, the Lancasters, and the Tudors running through his veins. He could conquer all of Europe if he truly wanted to."

"I wish for my son to have a peaceful life. Such power attracts the worst and corrupts the best. I do not wish that for him. I want him to be good-hearted and kind, nothing like the people he is descended from," Marie explained, a smile on her face.

"Harry and I are nothing like our parents," Kathy argued, an offended look on her face.

"No, you're right," Marie replied, smiling as she turned to Kathy, "You're worse. Even you, Kathy. Like every right hand of a king that came before you, you have a kingdom of your own behind your eyes. You grasp the same power, if not more than your grandmother had and it won't be long before it corrupts you as it did her."

Marie sighed, walking over to Kathy until she was standing directly in front of her. "I love you both more than anything, I do, but I will not let you both possess me like an object as you always have. You're dependent on me, as is Harry. You feel as though without me, you can't function. You trust no one, Kathy, and that is why as children, I was the only one you told everything to. I was but a hostage, after all. What threat could I be to you? And then there's Harry. He views me to be some forbidden fruit. I am not like the rest of the women he beds and then discards because there are times when I refuse him. And when I do, he aches and does everything within his power to take grasp of me once more. For both of you, I started as a girl you befriended to spite your mother, but now, since then, it's become worse. You both obsess over having a hold on me when I want nothing more than to be free of you. I am not a hostage anymore. Stop treating me like it."

"That isn't true," Kathy snapped at her coldly, "You know that."

"I don't. I've let it slide for so long, but I will not anymore. I have watched my deeds and my words my whole life, but I will not do so anymore. I am not a prisoner and I refuse to be treated like that. If I want a life away from you two, I shall have it," Marie explained to Kathy in a cold tone before storming off.

Marie walked out of the room, only to come face to face with Charles Brandon. She leaned her head back, sighing in relief at the sight of him.

"For a minute, I thought you to be Harry," Marie informed him and Charlie smiled, shaking his head.