34

BLOODLINES
— 34. Infidelity

   Outside, in the palace gardens, Marie walked through with Charlie, an uneasy look on her face

Outside, in the palace gardens, Marie walked through with Charlie, an uneasy look on her face. "I know you know the truth of who the father of both my sons are," She stated in a calm tone and Charlie nodded his head in response, "You've always known and still, you kept it to yourself."

"Henry and Kathy weren't the only ones who were like family to me growing up. You were as well," Charlie replied and Marie smiled, nodding her head in response, "And I know you didn't intentionally mean to have Henry as your youngest son's father. I know what happened in France and I know you didn't want it to happen."

"He is not the boy he once was," Marie admitted in a whisper, staring up at Charlie with tears beginning to form in her eyes, "I do not show it, but I am afraid of him. Truly. I show a brave face but in a way, I am afraid to be alone with him."

"And you have every right to feel so," Charlie assured her and Marie sighed, shaking her head.

"But I think I must," She replied, causing Charlie to turn to her and frown, "I believe I must give him what he wants or he will never leave me alone."

"Your husband will not be happy about that," Charlie commented and Marie nodded her head.

"I know, but he'll have to understand," Marie responded, tears threatening to spill from her eyes, "I am trapped. I can't be rid of Henry. So if I want to find some bit of happiness in my life, I must give Henry what he wants so he'll stop meddling in my life."

Charlie stared down at Marie, a sympathetic look on his face. He wanted to help her, but he knew he couldn't. The only one who could help Marie in her situation was Kathy and Kathy was in France. Which was a heartbreaking loss all of England seemed to be experiencing. For in her absence, Wolsey had latched his claws into Herny more than ever before. And it meant nothing good.

_____

   It was night time and Henry was sitting in his chambers when it was announced that Marie had arrived. He smiled at the news and sat down at the foot of his bed, watching as Marie was led in. Her expression was unreadable and she wore nothing but her nightgown.

"I thought you wanted nothing to do with me," He commented, an arrogant look on his face that made Marie want to punch him.

"If you want me to leave, then I will—" Marie began to say as she walked toward the door.

"No," Henry argued in a stern tone as he walked closer to her and grabbed her hand, "I don't want you to leave. I want you to stay."

Marie stared up at Henry and tried to contain her sadness. She felt as though she was trembling, wanting nothing more to leave but she knew she couldn't.