28

BLOODLINES
— 28. War and Childbirth

On the day of the battle, Kathy found herself riding back and forth, eying her warriors closely

On the day of the battle, Kathy found herself riding back and forth, eying her warriors closely. "Today is an important day," She announced to the people in a loud tone, "It marks either a victory over the Scots or a defeat. But I know it in my gut that it will be a victory. England is invaded by the Scots. Since when have fellow Englishmen feared Gaels and Celts? Never! And we shall prove that to them today! Today, we shall make these Scots wish they had never stepped foot into England! Today, we fight for England and its King and Queen!"

The army cheered loudly and Kathy smiled, continuing. "And not only for them, but in the name of God! These Scotsman wish to invade England and rob us of what was never theirs! But they do not know us! We shall fight for our country. To the death, if needs be! Won't we?" She asked them in a loud, powerful tone and the men shouted in approval, "They do not know our courage! And today...We shall defeat them! We shall make the ground red with the blood of these Scotsman! We shall strip them of their arrogance and make them pay for ever believing they could invade us! We shall make them cry out for mercy and I swear to you all, there will be none!"

They cheered even louder and Kathy smiled as she glanced around. "No mercy!"

_____

At Westminster Palace, Marie was walking down the hallway with Bessie Blount. Suddenly feeling a sharp pain in her belly, she gasped and placed a hand over her belly.

Bessie turned to her, a concerned look on her face. "Marie? Marie, are you alright?" She asked as she moved closer to the girl.

"Bessie, what did I tell you? I'm fine. It's normal to be like this when you're closer to the birth," She explained in a calm tone, groaning as she continued to walk down the hallway.

Just then, the pain continued and Marie groaned loudly. She moved closer to the wall, crying out in pain.

"Come, let me help you!" Bessie pleaded and Marie shook her head.

"No, it's too early. I'm fi—" She began to complain, only to cry loudly as she felt water spill down her legs and onto the ground.

She looked downwards, her eyes widening at the sight. "Oh, God, no," She said softly, shaking her head since she knew it was still quite early in her pregnancy. She was supposed to still have about a month left.

Unable to remain standing, Marie collapsed to the ground, clutching her belly.

"I think...I think the child's coming, Ursula!" Bessie informed Ursula, who was running down the hallway and over to her and Marie alongside Mary.

"I can't. I can't," Marie argued in her seated position on the ground, "I need my husband. I can't do this without my husband."

Marie groaned, clutching her belly as she leaned forward.