-1- The new bartender

A 26 year old singer sits with his 4 band colleagues in a back room of a club where they have been performing regularly for two years. He tunes his guitar and looks at the poster on the opposite wall. The poster has been hanging there for as long as he and his band have been performing at the P18. It shows a singer in a white shirt standing behind a microphone and behind him a big shadow of another person.

 It shows a singer in a white shirt standing behind a microphone and behind him a big shadow of another person

The singer always wondered who this other singer on the poster is and to whom this shadow belongs. What was he singing? What does his voice sound like? Why had he never heard of him before?

Again and again the singer had planned to ask the manager of the P18, but he always forgot or didn't find the right moment to ask.

But the singer also wondered why he was so interested in it? After all, it was just an old poster of some unknown artist, who probably never managed to become famous. And probably the unknown singer, just like him and his band, had never made it further than this club.

Nevertheless the questions about the unknown singer did not let him go.

An employee of the club knocked on the door to the back room and told them that they still had ten minutes until their gig. The singer stood up and straightened his clothes once more. Today he had decided to wear tight black jeans and a white shirt. Because he knows that especially the female fans like to see him like that. Even though he didn't really care about it.

Like before every gig, the singer was excited again today. He took his electric guitar and left the small back room together with his band colleagues. The manager already announced the band. Only one or two deep breaths and it was time. They entered the stage and their fans cheered loudly.

The singer connected his guitar to the amplifier and stood at the microphone. Many faces looked familiar to him. Fans who kept coming and supporting them. But also many new faces. The singer smiled and looked at his band mates and waited for their OK.

"Hi, I am Wang Yibo and together with my band, we are Uniq. We're gonna try to give you a great night out tonight and hope you have as much fun as we did."

Wang Yibo tuned in the first song and the band started their performance. They played their instruments and sang for two hours. One song after another planked Yibo into the microphone. The fans sang every single song and kept calling for more. They just could never get enough.

After he had sung his last song, Yibo stayed on the stage for a moment and let his fans celebrate. His gaze wandered through the huge hall and suddenly got stuck on something. Or rather, someone.

Yibo stared over to the bar counter where a new bartender stood and applauded them with a smile. Yibo had the feeling that the bartender was looking right into his soul. His heart raced and his throat became dry. Everything around him seemed to blur and he saw only him, the new one behind the bar.

Seungyoun followed Yibo's look and pushed him into the side. "Tell me. Isn't that the guy from the poster?" Yibo averted his gaze from the new bartender and looked at his best friend in confusion. "That's him, isn't it?"

"I don't know." Yibo replied, still with his heart beating in his throat. He turned back around to the bar counter, but the bartender was no longer there. He looked around the bar, but the bartender was gone.

Yibo and his band bowed to their fans once more and then left the stage again. And as soon as they were in the back room, Yibo stood directly in front of the poster and looked at it again. "That was him." He muttered softly.

Seungyoun patted Yibo on the shoulder and nodded. "He seemed so familiar to me right away."

There was a knock at the door and Yibo went to open it. The door was only open a crack when he realized who was standing there. "Hi, I hear there are some men with dry throats." He said.

Yibo opened the door and let the new bartender into the back room. His band mates immediately jumped up and gratefully accepted the cool beer that the bartender brought them. "Hey, you're the guy from the poster, right?" Seungyoun asked curiously and pointed to the poster on the wall.

The bartender looked at the poster and nodded. "Ah ha ha. It's been years now."

"What's your name?" Asked Wooseok, another band member.

"Um, I'm Xiao Zhan." The bartender replied with a bright smile.

Yibo looked at him speechlessly. He wanted to say something and introduce himself, but couldn't make a sound. His knees felt soft and his heart was beating so hard that he could feel it beating until his tonsils. He felt his cheeks redden and began to sweat. He sat down on his chair and suddenly felt completely out of breath.

"Your performance was really great. I liked it very much." Xiao Zhan said happily.

And while his band mates cheerfully chatted with the bartender, Yibo could only do one thing. Look at him speechlessly. He didn't understand what suddenly came over him, he had never been shy and liked to talk about music and the songs he wrote. But then why didn't he manage to make a single word to Xiao Zhan?

Yibo listened inside himself and then it became clear to him. Although this had never happened to him before and he only knew these symptoms from the stories of others, but he still knew what was happening to him. He had fallen in love.

Yibo had always been unsure which sex he was attracted to. He had never given anything on dates, was not interested in anyone or anything other than music and himself at school or university. He never kissed anyone, held hands or had intercourse, because he never cared. Sometimes he thought he was abnormal and different, because he had never fallen in love in his 26 years of life.

But now it was happening to him. He fell in love and he fell in love with a man. And although he was always able to control every situation and always had a strong character, he suddenly felt helpless now. He did not know what to do. Suddenly he is in love and not even able to talk to the man who almost makes his heart explode.

Yibo was so confused that he was afraid he had even forgotten how to walk. Carefully he stood up, his soft knees threatened to give way and he tilted a little to the right. "Careful, don't fall over." Said Xiao Zhan as he supported Yibo. "You'd better sit down and drink something." Yibo tried to refuse, but he couldn't open his mouth and bring out the words.

"Are you all right?" Xiao Zhan wanted to know and looked at Yibo with concern. Yibo nodded and took the water glass that Xiao Zhan was holding out to him. And as he reached for it, their fingers were touching and a slight tingling sensation ran through Yibo's hand.

"How old are you Xiao Zhan?" Seungyoun asked curiously, ignoring the condition of his best friend Yibo.

"I am 28 years old. And I have to go back to the bar, my colleague is there all alone and because of you guys, there are so many guests here today, we can hardly manage to keep up. Take good care of your friend and bring him home. Make sure he drinks enough." Xiao Zhan returned and left the back room.

Yibo took a deep breath and stared at the poster. Xiao Zhan? So that's your name? Thought Yibo before it turned black around him and he passed out.