Part 34: in the forest

Jen's POV:

I heard dad and Adam fight. And Adam was arrested. But it wasn't real, it was all in my head. I'm stuck in this forest. I start to run again, every step hurts more. Every step gets faster, and faster. Until I have reached the speed limit. I run so fast, but I don't know why. I keep running. But then, I see some kind of light. I run towards that. When I come closer, I see it's a bright stone. So bright, it looks like light. I'm so close, I can almost touch it. I stopped running, and started to walk, very slowly. I feel this vibe. I felt happy. The stone had a text on it, which said: 'Les bons souvenirs' it means 'The good memories'.

How closer I get, how better I feel. I touch the stone and I get this flashback, not too long ago.

It was, when I had a crush on a guy. Ricky. This was a few months ago, I was already three months adopted by my dad. I asked Ricky out on a date, and he rejected me. And that stung. I thought I wouldn't cry, after all I had been through, I thought I could take it. I thought I would be home alone, because dad always is busy. But he was home. And I just, I had to cry. I needed love. "Hey Jen, you alright?" He asked me, while he looked up from his book. I sat next to him, not answering his question. I was still very afraid, but I did love him. "How was school?" He asks, trying to start a conversation. I wrapped my arms around him, and cried on his shoulder. He hugged back. "It's okay" he kept saying to me. This was the first time we hugged. I told him that my crush didn't like me back. And that I knew it was just silly. We laughed and watched a movie.

This was one of the best days of my life. I come back in the forest. I look around. And I'm not afraid. I feel safe. I did just run through this forest because I thought it was dangerous. But now I feel safe, like everything from now on, will be okay.