Counter-attacks

NANDINI  :

Narrowing my eyes, furrowing my eyebrows I looked at him trying hard to decipher his actions. 

I'm sure you all know who 'he' is. 

I wasn't able to understand why he was going all 'Shinchan' standing near the glass window of our biology lecture hall. 

What was Manik Malhotra even trying to prove by doing all those 'Shinchan-antics'? 

I swear I won't leave him if it is a part of some stupid bet of his to get me out of the class.

Suddenly, he jumped and started acting as if he was playing basketball. I chuckled at his actions and the whole class looked at me. 

Damn you, Manik Malhotra.

"Miss Murthy, anything wrong?", Mrs. Bhattacharya asked. 

"No mam. Nothing. I'm sorry.", I said.

Mrs. Bhattacharya shifted her attention to the class again, I scowled looking at Manik as he left.

When the lecture was over, Navya smiled sliding her hand on my shoulder and asked, "What happened to you during the lecture?".

"Nothing. Actually...Basketball...I just...", I stuttered as I was thinking about how to put it in words.

"Woah. Really? I knew it! You were thinking about him! Right? Avnish! Will you be there for today's basketball match, Nandini? I'm sure he would love to see you there.", Navya winked at me with a toothy grin on her face.

God! Not again! 

"Avnish? Do you mean Avnish Jha? St. Sebastian's basketball captain?", Cabir asked looking at Navya and then at me.

"Of course. Just to remind you he also happens to be Elite's former student.", Navya told Cabir while grinning at me. 

"I know. He was in our class during secondary school, right?", Cabir said.

Just stop it Navya! 

Why is she looking at me like that?

Cabir looked at Navya being confused while I scowled at her.

"Hey, guys! What's up?", Manik said as he joined us suddenly coming out of Principal sir's office.

"Manik Malhotra. What was that? You were going all Shinchan sometime back. Don't pull such stunts on me. I do not wish to be punished in any class.", I blasted on him in an attempt to distract Navya's mind.

"Calm down Girl. My bad. I thought you were over with 'Mission-Insult-Manik- Malhotra'. ", Manik remarked raising his hands in his defense.

"You just can't pull such-", I started my speech about How-to-behave-during-lectures only to be interjected by this Shinchan in the face of Eiffel tower.

"You know what. Forget it. Nandini, I want you to come to my basketball match.", Manik said in a demanding tone.

"But-", I said.

"I know. I know. You never come for matches. You are an introvert. Etc. Etc. But this time you are coming. For me. I mean I'm your friend, right? And it's not a normal match. It's Elite V/S St. Sebastian.", Manik said hopefully.

"No Manik. I'm not staying here. I'll go home.", I said without looking in his direction.

"Nandini-", Manik said.

Before he could say any further we heard Cabir screaming, "Crush?!".

"Cabir, How many times should I tell you? I don't have a crush on Nandini.", Manik stated in an irritated tone.