Bonus Chapter: Uncalled Tantrums

NANDINI:

The silence was all around.

Plainly dispersed cirrus clouds didn't clog the path of moonlight propagating in a straight line; some allowed the rays to pass through them while the thick greyish material of the other ones made the light bend at angles; creating a beautiful maze. No matter if they were thick or thin ones, the clouds shone with the touch of moon dust, as if its serenity calmed their inner dynamics between the stormy raindrops and frozen water particles.

On the rough road accompanied by occasional street lights, headlights of Manik's car raced against the uneven fog reaching a distant jeep ahead, enlightening the fluorescent painted route signs in the way.

Reading a board 'Shimla: 35 KM', my line of vision moved back to the moon only to see the black silhouette of a bird flying in its vicinity making me wonder if it was a Chakor. Perhaps, it was just a tale, a romantic poet's dream, or maybe an eternal love story, as no matter how many raindrops Chakor drank, his thirst could only be quenched by drinking the sparkles of moonlight.

I ran a hand through half-asleep Navya's hair and my eyes settled at the retreating figures of tall Neem and Ashoka trees. Soft music from the sound system helped Manik and Cabir to stay awake while the same melody turned my enchanted-self dreamier. A message from Dadu made the phone buzz and I swiped the screen to unlock it.

Dadu 9: 45 p.m.

Where have you reached?

Looking at the text I missed him more and his state seemed similar.

Me 9:46 p.m.

Will be home in about two-three hours Dadu!

Dadu 9:50 p.m.

Come soon, Cupcake. I'm waiting.

I was about to reply requesting not to stay up so long, when Cabir's words fell on my ears, "Manik, Manik, Stop. Stop. Stop."

Pulling the brakes my guy asked, "What's wrong with you, Cabir?"

"See there! Come let's have some food," Our friend pointed at a roadside Dhaba enthusiastically.

"It's already late. We still have to drive long. Eat anything you want after we reach Shimla," I remarked checking the time on my phone's display.

"C'mon on yaar Nandini, a trip is incomplete without Dhabe ka khana," He closed the eyes inhaling the delicious aroma coming from the mini-hotel.

"Are we home yet?" Navya yawned like a baby covering her mouth at the same time trying to lift the heavy weight of her eyelids.

"Tell your boyfriend that we won't stop here," I urged Navya to take my side nudging her with an elbow but space beside me on the backseat seemed empty.

Clink

The next moment, I heard the click sound of the car door being opened, and my best friend clapped jumping in zeal, "Wow! Butter-chicken!"

It was a delicious aroma for them but I felt nauseated at the smell of non-vegetarian food. Manik twisted the neck animatedly between me and our long-term couple as if concluding a crucial decision about what to say but the growl coming out of his stomach betrayed him and I sighed, "Okay, fine. Just be careful about time."

We sat facing each other on the bamboo cots woven with jute fibers, a little taller brownish table made up of similar material had a huge steel jug, glasses, a plain white vase with red-colored artificial flowers, and a menu card laminated with transparent plastic sheets.