The Date

Elite High School:

NANDINI:

"I just can't wait for the evening anymore," Manik whispered in my ear as he pulled me in the boys locker room.

"Wow! Manik Malhotra, tum finally sudhar gaye?" Those words left my mouth involuntarily and I covered it with my palm letting out a gasp as he stared at me being flummoxed.

"What? I just meant that you stopped wishing me 'Good Morning' in your way, finally," I said pulling his cheeks and he scrutinized me curiously.

Of course, I was thinking about the same, nothing else.

"I didn't know you miss my wishes so much. Never mind, you can get enough of them tonight. What else do you think we will be doing on a date?" He smirked jerking me closer with hands on my waist making my eyeballs almost pop-out of their sockets.

As his fingers caressed my waist, goose bumps appeared on my skin making me gulp out of nervousness. My body stiffened while the heartbeats raced crazily and for the first time I felt there was something more to it, something more to us, more than just blending of our different personalities, symbiosis of philosophical natures, synergism of the dance steps, the feelings harbouring in our hearts, and that something was attraction. It was strange how I started feeling physically attracted to him after being emotionally connected.

Suddenly, I felt like the weirdest soul.

It was scary as I understood my heart was letting its guards down, those walls which were present naturally in order to protect me. At the same time, I also realized that I had started looking at Manik as an infinite source of light in my already bright life; he was a wish which suddenly came true one day, the one with whom I would smile even if the sky would be red, the oceans green and the earth blue.

"Nandini, zoned out already? Were you dreaming about our date? Tell me, what did you see? What were we doing in your imagination?" He asked in a jiffy with a toothy grin while I huffed blinking my eyes multiple times and stared at the floor abruptly.

"God, you turned so pale. I was correct, wasn't I? But the question is what were you thinking exactly?" He chuckled at my reaction raising his one eyebrow and I nodded my head vigorously in no. Manik mimicked my actions making me scowl as I looked sideways.

"I could see so many emotions in your eyes and trust me it's fascinating, darkening of these velvet black eyes," He asserted in a husky tone making me look into his eyes cupping my cheeks but those words made me laugh.

"So cheesy, Manik," I chuckled pushing him and turned on my heels to run away only to be pulled back by my caring but excessively desperate-yet-so-calm idiot.

"Nandini, let's keep it a secret, this date," He mumbled while his thumb drew circles on the back of my palm and his other hand held my back.

"Okay, I'll just tell Dadu. I never keep any secrets from him," I said nodding my head and Manik narrowed his eyes at me gritting those Dabur babool teeth.

Irritating him was so much fun!

"Manik. Manik. Have seen you Manik anywhere?" Cabir's voice fell on my ears and I struggled to get out of Manik's hold.

"Leave me. Cabir is coming," I muttered.

"So, what? I'm not afraid of anyone. He knows we both like each other," Manik said as if challenging me.

"Nice, that means you love it when Dadu and Cabir tease you. What was it? Puppy-faced-boyfriends-club," I chuckled messing his hair but he looked at me dreamily.