Chapter 1

Alexis's POV

"Ugly-doodle-doo!"

I sit up in my bed and look outside my window. The sun was up. Which means it's time for us to get up.

I spread my pink wings and fly over to my sister's bed.

"Val, wake up!" I yelled while jumping up and down on her bed. Her purple wolf ears twitch to the sound of my voice.

"Okay, okay, I'm up," Val groaned as she sat up.

I get dressed into my usual uniformed black shirt with a skirt and leggings. Once I'm done, I fly down the stairs and go to the front door.

"Val! I'll be going to Moxy's place!" I yelled to Val.

"Okay! I'll meet up with you later on!" Val called down to me from upstairs.

I then exit the door and fly over to Moxy's window. Once I'm there, I see that Peggy is on her window as well. I then peek my head through Moxy's window beside Peggy with a smile.

"Hey, Moxy. You look like you're in a good mood," I told her as she was on her computer. She then looks away from the computer and looks at me.

"That's because today I'm going to..." Moxy started to say.

"Get chosen and go to the Big World and be with your child. You say that all the time," I told her as I sat on the window with my legs dangling inside the room.

She always talks about going to the Big World. She believes that it's real. I believe that it's real too, but none of us were ever chosen.

"I know. But today I might be right," Moxy said as she pointed to her calendar. She then presses a button on her computer and printed a few newspapers.

Moxy:"Shake the sleep of and kick into the morning drill."

The newspapers fly over to Moxy and she catches them as I get up and catch one of them.

Moxy:"It's another awesome day here in Uglyville."

I follow Moxy as she opens a window and confetti comes flying out.

Moxy:"Grab your shoes.Time to spread the good news.Whoa."

I come stand beside Moxy.

Me:"Let's go!"

Moxy:"Things just couldn't be better."

Moxy and I head to the stairs just outside her room.

Moxy:"Call it hope or faith. Whatever."

Moxy and I jump on the newspapers and slide down the railing of the stairs.

Moxy:"I just know in my heart. It's the day I've awaited forever."

Moxy hugs me as we slide down and I start getting into the beat.

Me and Moxy:"'Cause there's a scrambled sun in a day-glo sky. And the mood couldn't be any brighter! And as the slam-bang city goes rocketing by. Well, my head couldn't feel any lighter."

Me and Moxy are passing out newspapers to everyone in town. Moxy gets in her cart and starts riding it around town while passing newspapers. I fly beside her as she continues to sing.

Moxy:"It's like a fun house ride. The kind you just can't miss."

Moxy jumps off of her cart and flies to a crowd of UglyDolls as I follow behind her.

Moxy:"Call it crazy and yet. Is there anything better then this?"

The crowd throws us back up and we land on the ground, surrounded by UglyDolls.

Me and Moxy:"Life just couldn't be better than this."

I meet up with Val and the rest of the UglyDolls as they are all gathered around for the tree planting ceremony.

"Here you go, Mayor Ox. Hot off the press," Moxy tells him as she hands him a newspaper.

"Thanks, Moxy. Today's the day," Ox said as he held the newspaper and a shovel on each hand.

"You really think so? When someone get's chosen, do they get picked up by a long stretch dune buggy or something fancy?" Moxy started asking.

"Here we go again," Val mumbled from beside me.

"I'm talking about the tree planting ceremony," Ox then told Moxy as a tree-like UglyDoll with sunglasses walked up to us.

"Oh..." Moxy said in disappointment.

"Mr. Tree, if you would," Lucky Bat said as Mr. Tree took off his sunglasses. He then plants a tree in the ground as Lucky Bat gets a camera and stands in front of us.

"Now, I've told you before: All this business about the so-called Big World and children, those are just stories!" Ox said as we all posed for the picture. I was standing beside my sister as she leaned herself against me.

"Everyone says that, but what's the harm in believing?" Moxy asked. But she didn't get far when Ox started signing.

Ox:"Never mind that. I'll tell you what the day will bring. First a shindig, then a bash. Then more partying."

"But, Ox..." Moxy started to say, but got interrupted when Ox continued singing and jumped in the crowd as they carried him away.

Ox:"Top it all with a rave. Then a ball."

Moxy:"Whoa."

Val, Lucky Bat, and I then jump into the crowd as well.

Ox:"Right, you know it couldn't be better."

"Wow. Can anything be better than this?" I asked Val as we were being carried away.

"Who knows. I guess we'll have to find out," Val answered.

Val and I then met up with Moxy and Ugly Dog.

Moxy:"And soon you-know-what is comin'." 

Moxy held out a newspaper, only for Ox to take it from her.

Ox:"But until it arrives. Might as well keep the party..."

Moxy and Ox:"...hummin'."

Right now, Val is riding on my back while I was flying around town.

Me and Val:"Yes, it's a square-peg life in a round-hole town. But the folks couldn't be any sweeter."

Val and I then meet up with Moxy, Ugly Dog, Wage, and Babo.

Moxy and Wage:"It may be upside-backwards and wrong-side down. But it just couldn't feel more completer."

I then look up to see Babo hanging onto the windmill as he went around in a circle.

Babo:"And there's so much to do."

Val, Moxy, Wage, Ugly Dog, and I then go in the center of a crowd.

Wage:"And it's all such bliss."

Moxy:"There's no reason to fret. What could ever be better than this?"

All:"No, it couldn't get better than..."

"Incoming! Incoming!" said the voice from the speaker.

"Come on, UglyDolls! New arrival!" Peggy told everyone.

"Come on, Val!" I told her as I took off to the sky and flew to the only entrance there was to this place.

I wonder who the new arrival is going to be.