Chapter 5

Alexis's POV

It's been a while since we started on our journey through the pipe. I was starting to think that we were never going to find anything. It was so dark, so we couldn't see anything.

"There are so many tunnels," I hard Moxy say.

"Where's the lights to this place?" I asked.

"I have a flashlight!" I heard Babo state.

"And you didn't get it out before why?" Val asked.

"I'm conserving the batteries until we really need it," Babo answered.

"Good thinking. Let me know when you come upon a time when you really need it," Wage said, a bit annoyed.

"You got it!" Babo said, and then turned on the flashlight.

Now we were able to see. That's a relief.

Ugly Dog then starts sniffing the ground for anything.

"You smell anything?" Moxy asked him.

"It's hard to say. It'd be easier if I had a nose," Ugly Dog said.

"Then why are you even trying if you don't have ONE!" Val yelled as she fell into the dark abyss.

I was about to call to her until we all started falling down to who-knows-what.

I was then starting to see a light below us and saw a lot of dolls falling beside us.

"Creepy falling babies! Whoa! Creepy falling babies!" Wage yelled in fear.

I then closed my eyes, afraid of what might happen next. But, when I opened my eyes, I was surprised to see what was going on.

I was sliding down a slide. I looked around my surroundings and saw a whole bunch of slides traveling in different directions. I also saw the dolls we saw earlier sliding down as well.

I was starting to enjoy the ride, and I could tell Wage wasn't enjoying it. She was screaming her lungs out.

It didn't take long for it to end. But once it was finished, we all landed in a foam pit.

The others emerged from the pile of foam and Babo picked up Val and I as Wage started spitting out some foam.

"Yes! Yes, yes, yes! Let's do it again!" Moxy yelled in excitement once she emerged from the foam pile as Babo was still holding onto me and Val.

But something caught my attention. In front of us, there was a gateway that read, "Institute of Perfection." I could then hear a choir singing in the background.

"There's a child for every doll. And a doll for every child."

"Where is that music coming from?" I asked as I looked at Val.

But before Val could respond, we all heard a voice coming from who-knows-what.

"Congratulations, Doll Type Number 12. You have arrived at your designation quality control center. The final step on your journey to becoming the complete doll you were made to be," Said the voice. The screen on the gateway then started showing pretty dolls in the institute. "And once you successfully complete the institute's rigorous final test, you'll pass through this portal and begin the greatest experience a doll can know," The voice said as we saw a doll go through a portal on the screen.

The screen then started showing us different dolls being with their kid and having a good time. I guess Moxy was right about the Big World.

"Moxy, you were right," Ugly Dog whispered to her.

Just then, we heard a buzzer and we all slipped out of the foam pit, along with the other emotionless/genderless dolls.

"Please enter through the gates and make your way to the individualization scanners," The female voice said.

We all then walked through the gates a passed by a few robots.

"Welcome to the Institute of Perfection," A male voice said out of nowhere.

Where are those voices coming from?

"Here, you will become the best doll you can be. We will help you grow from pretty to perfect," Said the female voice as we all walked by some holograms of pretty-looking dolls.

"...but only after you successfully pass the final challenge we call 'The Gauntlet.' Can you proceed to the Big World?" The male voice then said as we walked passed by a hologram of a house.

I guess that's the Gauntlet.

We all then made it to the scanners and I watched as every doll went into it and changed their look. The girl dolls had outfits a little similar as Val and I's.

I then watch as Moxy entered a scanner and got scanned. I then heard a buzzer noise coming from it.

"You are not a model. Data does not compute. I... I... Tell my family I love them," A voice from the scanner said as it started to malfunction, and then it broke down. And this caught the attention of a few dolls.

Nice way to make an entrance.

The dolls then screamed in fear and ran away.

"Ah. must be a customary greeting here," Lucky Bat said as he went up to a girl doll and screeched. This then caused the doll to faint.

Val and I started walking around the institute and saw a lot of dolls and houses. I guess they stay here until they go to the Big World.

Val and I then meet up with the others and looked at the portal.

"Just imagine, Uglies. All our dreams are waiting for us right through there. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is gonna stop us now," Moxy told us.

I just have this strong feeling inside of me.

Will something stop us?