Chapter 9

Val's POV

It's been a while since Alexis left the house. I was starting to get worried.

Just then, I heard a knock on the door. I open the door and see Mandy standing there.

"Hey, Mandy. What are you doing here?" I asked her.

"Oh, um, I was sent here by Lou. He told me to bring you to his mansion," Mandy told me.

I was shocked. Why would Lou want to see me.

I thought for a moment. My sister wasn't back yet, and I can't leave her here all alone when she comes back. I then made my decision.

"Okay. Take me to Lou's mansion," I told Mandy.

She then led me to Lou's mansion, and it was huge. Mandy opened the door to his house and led me to what I think is his office.

Mandy then knocks on his door.

"Come in," I heard Lou's voice on the other side of the door.

Mandy then gives me a nod and then walks away.

WAIT!! IS SHE GOING TO LEAVE ME HERE BY MYSELF? !!

I shakily opened the door to Lou's office and saw him sitting at his desk. My heart was literally beating a thousand times faster than it was before. My ears drooped, afraid of what he might do next.

"Hello, Val. I'm glad you came. Have a seat," Lou told me as he pointed to a seat in front of his desk.

Each step I took, my heart skipped a beat.

"What do you need me for?" I asked him as I sat down.

"Well, I have an offer for you. You see, to me you look pretty, even though you have wolf ears and tail. So I was thinking. Would you like to join me and become a perfect doll like me?" Lou asked me.

He thinks I'm perfect? Why would he think that?

"That sounds great. But will my sister be involved with it as well?" I then asked him.

"No. To me, she doesn't look perfect, like you. To me, she looks just like the rest of those Uglies," Lou answered.

"But, I can't except the offer if my sister won't be involved with it, Lou. I would never leave my sister behind," I then told him.

"I know it may be a risk. But, you might just find yourself in place you have always dreamed of being in," Lou told me as he stood up. And I knew what he was going to do.

Please don't start singing. Please don't start singing.

Lou:"Right here, right now, I put the offer out."

Lou then leans against his desk and gets a little closer to me.

Lou:"I don't wanna chase you down, I know you see it. You run with me..."

He then pokes my forehead.

Lou:"...and I can cut you free. Out of the drudgery and walls you keep in."

Lou then stands up and walks around his desk and towards me as I just sit in my seat.

Lou:"So trade your typical for somethin' colorful. And if it's crazy, live a little crazy. You can play it sensible. A king of conventional."

He then puts his arm around me and looks in one direction.

Lou:"Or you can risk it all and see."

Lou then pulls me up from my seat and spins me around.

Lou:"Don't you wanna get away from the same old part you gotta play? 'Cause I got what you need. So come with me and take the ride. It'll take you to the other side."

He then stands up on his desk and starts dancing.

Lou:"'Cause you can do like you do or you can do like me. Stay in the cage or you finally take the key. Oh, damn. Suddenly you're free to fly."

Lou then steps off from his desk and leans against it.

Lou:"It'll take you to the other side."

I then started getting into the beat of the music and decided to join in.

Me:"Okay, 'my friend', you wanna cut me in. Well, I hate to tell you, but it just won't happen."

I stand up and start to walk out of the office.

Me:"So thanks, but no, I think I'm good to go. 'Cause I quite enjoy the life you say I'm trapped in."

I stand in the doorway and look back at him.

Me:"Now, I admire you and this whole show you do. You're on to somethin'. Really it's somethin'. But I live among the swells and we don't pick up peanut shells. I'll have to leave that up to you."

I then started walking through the hallway to get to the stairs with Lou following me.

Me:"Don't you know that I'm okay with this uptown part I get to play? 'Cause I got what I need and I don't wanna take the ride. I don't need to see the other side."

I then sit on the railing of the stairs and start to slide down.

Me:"So go and do like you do, I'm good to do like me. Ain't in a cage, so I don't need to take the key."

I get off of the railing and start walking to the front door.

Me:"Oh, damn. Can't you see I'm doin' fine? I don't need to see the other side."

Lou then starts singing, which stops me in my tracks.

Lou:"Now, is this really how you'd like to spend you days? Judgment, misery and boredom all day?"

I turn around to look at him as I open the front door.

Me:"If I were mixed up with you, I'd be the talk of the town. Disgraced and disowned, another one of the clowns."

As I was exiting the mansion, Lou continued singing.

Lou:"But you would finally live a little. Finally laugh a little. Just let me give you the freedom to dream. And it'll wake you up, and cure your aching. Take your walls and start 'em breaking. Now that's a deal that seems worth taking."

I stop in my tracks after what he said.

Lou:"But I guess I'll leave that up to you."

After he said that, I wondered. Will I have a better life if I joined him?

I then turn around to look at him, but I see that he's gone. He must have went back inside.

I then look down to see a piece of paper on the ground. I pick it up and it had his phone number.

Should I really become a perfect doll like him or should I remain as an Ugly like the others?