Chapter 10

Alexis's POV

The next day, we all got up and got ready for training. I was a little nervous, knowing that I was new to this.

Once we got there, there was a lot of desks for each doll and a stage.

Val and I sat in the front row while Moxy and the others sat somewhere near the back.

As I sat down, I looked at my surroundings. To my right, I saw Nolan sitting next to me in his own desk.

He then noticed me and waved at me. I waved back, knowing that I wasn't alone.

I turn to look at my sister and saw that she gave me a confused look. I then mouthed the words, "I'll tell you later."

She then nods and looks ahead of her and saw Lou on the stage.

"Today you begin your training. And I know that seems stressful, maybe a little scary. But remember: This is your purpose as a doll. And I would never let you fail. I've dedicated my entire life to making sure you go to the Big World," Lou said.

Lou then walks up to a few dolls

"That's right. I'm doing this for you. And you," Lou started saying. He then points at Nolan. "And you."

"Me?" Nolan questioned.

"Yes, you!" Lou replied.

"Wait, so that whole 'You're ugly, you're trash' song, that was because you loved me?" Nolan then asked.

"Of course I love you. I love all of you," Lou said as he winked at Val's direction. I could tell she didn't like that.

I then look at Nolan as he looks at me with a smile. I smiled back, knowing that someone else "loves" him.

"And I will take you there!" Lou then said as fireworks were shot into the sky. The fireworks looked so cool. Everyone was so amazed to see them in the sky.

In the corner of my eye, I thought I saw Nolan look at me with a smile. I just shrugged it off and put my focus on the fireworks.

"I wanna hate him. I mean, I really wanna dislike this guy. But I gotta respect the man's fireworks budget," I heard Ugly Dog say in the background.

"I'm so awesome. But I'm here to get you pretty. Because pretty makes perfect. And I don't know about you, but that sounds pretty great to me! So let's get started," Lou sang the last part as he got off the stage.

Lou then walks up to a girl doll with a cup of tea.

"Do you want your clothes ruined by a tea party gone awry?" Lou asked as he spilled the tea on the doll's desk.

Why would he waste the tea like that?

"Do you want to find yourself on the business end of a permanent marker?" Lou then asked as he held a marker against a girl doll's forehead.

"No!" The girl doll said.

Why would your child want to draw on you with a permanent marker?

"And you!" Lou said as he went up to another girl doll. "Your kid spent an hour styling your hair. But then, disaster strikes. Who's gonna get the gum out? Who?!" Lou asked.

Scissors. Duh.

"I don't know!" The girl doll freaked out.

"Today you're going to practice how to avoid stains, smudges, and spills. Or as I like to call them: 'The S's of Messes,'" Lou said. Polite laughter was then heard from the dolls around me.

Hahaha, very funny.

"Thank you. I actually came up with that one myself..." Lou started to say, but was interrupted by laughter.

Val and I, along with everyone else, turned around to see Moxy and the others squirting each other with glue. Lou then made his way to them. They then stop when they see Lou standing in front of them, not looking pleased.

"Sorry. Don't kids have fun getting messy?" Moxy asked him. Realization then struck her. "Wait. Was this part of the test?"

"Yes, it was. And you passed!" Lou said.

"For real?" Moxy then asked.

Wait, we have to get dirty to pass? Someone pass me some glue.

"Enjoy the Big World!" Lou pointed out to a bright, shining light coming from what looks like a portal.

"Thank you so much!" Moxy said as she and the others went towards the bright light.

I was about to get up and follow them, but I felt someone's hand on mine. I look to see who's hand it belonged to, and it was Nolan. He was looking at me with a worried look.

What is he so worried about?

I then realized that the bright light wasn't a portal. Once Moxy and the others entered, the light turns off and reveals to be a washer.

I then look at Nolan with an understanding look.

"Thanks," I mumble to him. He then nods in response as he took his hand away from mine.

The washer then closes, which causes my friends to turn around.

"This, students, is what happens to dolls who get messy," Lou said as the washer turned on. "They get put through the wash!"

Everyone gasps in fear, except for me and Val.

"Every time you go through the washer, you come out a little less perfect. And if you keep getting less and less perfect, one day even the washer won't save you and your child's parents will through you away," Lou said as the washer stopped.

"I just don't want to see any of you get rejected," Lou said as he looked inside the washer and at Moxy. "So if you want to pass these tests, avoid mess. Stay out of the wash."

Val and I then looked at each other and nodded, understanding what to do.

I just hope I don't get put in the washer.