Chapter 1 - Meeting

Summer in Naples, truly the most amazing sight to lay eyes on. The clouds in the skies balanced the warmth of the sun, giving us a break from the never stopping stifling heat. The streets were brought to life by its locals, children would dash off in all directions. But not only that, if you paid attention closely you could see those young people dashing off were closely followed by a merchant or a baker. As I stood against a wall at the end of an empty street, I saw that the merchant was catching up on the boy. Stepping out of the shadow, I grabbed the kid by the shoulder, activating Penny Lane so that no one could hear us. Casually looking around, I waited for the man finally run past us to finally look at the kid. "Giuseppe, how many times do I have to tell you to improve your sneaking skills?"

With a huge grin painted on his face the boy looked at me "Oh come on Coda, I had him. See, I know how Tonio works. After running too long, he tires and gives up. Which gives me more time to run!" He explained as a matter of fact, as if he had thought this through. Raising a brow curiously at him I crossed my arms over my chest, knowing full well people felt intimidated by my presence. "Your strategy was to what? Simply tire him? Bambino, you do realize he was catching up?" I asked him with a small smile, throwing a quick glance behind to see if Tonio, the baker, had returned. Giuseppe was now pouting, his cap covering his eyes. The loaf of bread in his hand showed that his theft was a success, for today.

Not hearing an answer from him, I noticed a few tears rolling down his cheeks. A bit uncomfortable when faced with crying children, I tried to comfort him. "Practice makes perfect, right?" I nudged him on the shoulder with my hand, hoping to get a reaction. He scoffed and used his sleeve to swipe the tears from his face; it took him a moment to compose himself before he was able to look at me with determination. "I'll try again tomorrow, this time I won't be caught." He declared, before giving me a hug and running back home.

A sigh escaped my lips, I knew most of the kids in town, but I never asked them what happened in their life for it to turn out this way. We had a silent agreement, I would help them if they ever found themselves at an impasse, and sometimes teach them tricks to get better at stealing; in return they- I gained nothing in return, I was just a benefactor. I suppose deep down I was trying to help them not end up in jail for being caught red handed.

Waiting for him to be out of sight, I left the remote street and started walking back to my apartment. I had arrived at Naples a few years back after getting a scholarship to study Communication, right after graduating I started working at Libeccio. Finding work with a bachelor like mine was hard, to say the least, fortunately I had studied with Benito Deangelo's daughter so when she left to work in Japan, in need of another helping hand he offered me as a waitress.

Of course, I gladly accepted, it was a source of incomes and it was right next to my place. I've now been working there since I graduated, which was 3 weeks ago. After walking 20 minutes or so I arrived at my apartment, showered and got changed for work. Checking if everything was still where it was meant to be, I grabbed a jacket and locked the door. A few months ago, after coming back from my classes, I had noticed that one of my windows was wide open and that a few of my stuff were missing. Lucky for me I had my computer in my bag, and most of my valuables like wallet and phone, they took what they could grab which consisted of a necklace Donatella my friend had given me, and of course my TV but I could go without it.

Upon leaving my apartment, I often had an uneasy feeling, as if someone or something was watching me. In those times I often summoned Yesterday, I knew for a fact that no one could see him so it was mostly to reassure myself and not to threaten who or whatever might be there. I developed this fellow when I was in highschool, never knew how but I was just glad to have his company in stressful times.