Chapter 4 - Bad shit

Getting what I needed from my locker did not take long, hanging my apron on the hanger I was quick to join the two men who were talking back in the hall. "Let's get this b- let's go, just let's go." I said energetically, pulling at my long-sleeved shirt. Although nights in Naples were warm in summer, once it was 1am or 2am one could feel the cold of the night seeping through their bones.

The mafiosos had come prepared and were fashionably wrapped in their chesterfield coat, ready to go. "I'll take my leave; my car is parked in front. Have a nice evening." Giving us a charming smile followed by a wave of hand, the Passione Boss left

Once we started walking, I shoved my hands in my pockets to avoid losing my extremities. Now that might be exaggerated, but it was how it felt to me, I've always been a bad with colder temperature, which was one of the reasons why I had moved to Naples. "So how is this going to go down? Do you just stand guard, with, probably, other people in shift? That's maybe too presumptuous of me to think..." I muttered the last part, carefully studying the question in my head. No one would put more than one man on protecting someone so unimportant to the Passione famiglia.

"First, I'll assess if your place is safe, if you do not mind." He said smoothly, scrutinizing our surrounding for any threats. It's maybe a bit too much to be so on guard, but he was assigned to me for protection measures, so protect he will. Nodding at his answer, I walked in front of him to guide him to my place, walking faster than usual to get sooner the warmth of my sweet old apartment.

Living close to the restaurant made the walk pretty short, it was kind of disappointing to be finally home; although we did not talk much, if at all, the man had a nice presence, it was soothing to be by his side. But no matter, after walking up the stairs to the third level of the building, where my flat was, I had this strange feeling in my guts. "Could you wait here a moment, Bruno?" I asked, putting my arm behind as a motion to tell him to stop moving. Tip-toeing to my door, I noticed it was ajar. Shit, shit shit. Alright, they're probably gone, I should check anyway, turning around to sign Bruno to stay where he was, I was face to face with his heart shaped vest.

"What the- I told you to stay back, dío mio." Sighing heavily, I ignored his presence and as I was about to open the door, he gently grabbed the collar of my shirt, pulling me backwards. "Do I really have to explain to you the concept of a bodyguard?" he asked exasperated, pushing me behind himself as he entered the room. Leaning against the wall, I activated Penny Lane on Bruno so that his steps were completely soundless, and waited for his return.

After a few minutes, he came back with a frown. "Someone broke in, but nothing seems to be out of place. It's strange... It could be a stand user that came in looking for you" he said deep in thoughts, still in the doorway. "We should probably move you; this place is not safe." He suggested sternly, more likely not expecting a rejection. Waving my hand dismissively at him, I light-heartedly said "It's all good, it's not the first time it happened. A few months ago, someone broke in and stole some stuff, it was probably the same person, not a stand user. I wouldn't worry much about it." Pushing him inside, I closed the door behind us, locking everything like I did before.

Come to think of it, it was indeed strange that not one lock was forced open and the key was still on. Part of me screamed to leave this unsafe place, but the other part told me to stay out of pure stubbornness, no wannabe burglar will get me out of here. As I entered the living room, I quickly took off my heels and I put my bag on the counter of my kitchen only to notice that Bruno was still by the door, engrossed in his thoughts. "Bruno?" I called his name, he snapped back to reality, his frown disappearing.

"Welcome back to the land of the living, make yourself at home, I'll be right there." I told him with a kind smile, returning to the stove. Sure, coffee is ok if you want to stay awake all night, but being that it's already almost 2 am, I think some hot chocolate would be a fine beverage for both of us. I thought, breaking small pieces of chocolate into the pot, adding some soymilk and sugar to it. Stirring the mixture, I heard a chair being pulled by the counter. "I can assure you; the couch is comfier that those rattan stools." I said to the gangster over my shoulder, he shook his head in response with a small smile.