Chapter 16 - Tomorrow

The rest of the week had gone by in the blink of an eye. I spent most of my days juggling between training with Abbacchio, practicing dance with Bruno and trying very hard to remember the information I was given to be able to mingle properly on the day of the ball. It was difficult, very difficult. I was physically exhausted every day but at the same time I tried to push myself to my limit. As dumb as it sounds, I had Bruno's voice in my head telling me to be strong for each other.

I was grateful they spent their time helping me out, when they clearly didn't have to. Part of me had this feeling of being a burden, thinking that perhaps they felt like they had to help me. I tried to shove this feeling away and focus on getting better, getting useful, but it remained somewhere in my head and it would resurface when I would be at my lowest. In those times I would try to rationalize: it didn't make sense to feel like this with all the efforts I put in, then could clearly let me do this alone if they didn't feel like helping me, I shouldn't feel like that. But I did. I did feel like that, and rationalizing did not always help, but Bruno did.

Bruno helped, he would notice when I was off and would ask me what was wrong. I couldn't lie to him; he could read me like a book. We would talk about it, then he would find the words to lift my spirit and we would resume our activities. How could he be so patient? I was not even that patient with myself, I hated how my mind wasn't logical enough and would remind me of my insecurities. It was a proof that not everything was in my control, no matter how hard I tried to be logical, my mind was anything but.

On Sunday, we started training with our stands. Since I knew Yesterday had a bit of strength, I mentioned it to Abbacchio and he suggested we tried fighting with our stand. His, like mine, weren't fighting stands per say. They had some strength in them, but they were more useful for gathering information and passive acting. Moody Blues was the perfect match to train with Yesterday, however the moment I called Yesterday out, they rushed to Bruno's side while he was working. To say it was embarrassing was an understatement.

I thought I had managed to gain a fair control over my stand, by that I mean that it wouldn't come out when I was feeling an emotion strongly or things as such. But it seemed my stand was craving Bruno. Yesterday was standing close to the mafioso, very close; They weren't doing a lot, but I could sense their emotion, it was a mixt of longing, joy and content. The fact that it was a representation of our soul made it ten times worse. I tried to call them back many times, in vain.

Approaching both of them, I apologized quickly to Abbacchio who shrugged and observed how it'd play out. "I have no idea why they're doing this." I told Bruno with a grimace, he chuckled and raised his hand to pet the head of my stand, softly. Wait, did I feel it? God no. "It's alright, they probably want Zipper." He then moved to scratch behind its ear, my face flamed red when I felt his touch too. "Alright enough, don't-" I started a bit too loudly. He was surprised and stopped his actions but stared at me a moment.

"Don't condone his dumbass behavior." I covered my outburst, looking at my stand with the most serious look I could muster. Sensing their disappointment, they joined my side again, ready to train some more. Looking at Bruno with a sorry look, he smiled genuinely, assuring me it was alright, he welcomed the distraction. He then suggested to call Sticky Fingers, but I knew if he called his stand right now, mine would be distracted and I wouldn't be able to fight with Abbacchio. "Once we're done with training yeah!" I said too enthusiastically. Bruno nodded in response then went back to work without a word.

Going back to Abbacchio, we resumed our training. He was a lot more experienced than I was, in close combat and in using his stand, which threw me back to the first time we ever fought. He clearly had the upper hand while using his stand, but that didn't deter me. I told myself I'd hit him at least once before we stopped for today, which I did. It annoyed him that I didn't limit the use of my stand to physical attack but I also used the ability I had developed earlier this week, I named Yellow Submarine.