Chapter 18 - She's family

TW : mention of blood ; detailed depiction of fighting with a knife and what comes along this. ; mention of death (briefly)

"Let's get those bastards." I told him in a sweet voice as we entered the palace. Shaking his head, he leaned towards me with a smirk. "All in due time, amore. Behave" facing him in one quick move I was surprised by his choice of words but only nodded in response as we entered the hall. Upon reaching the main hall, I had to stop Bruno from going forward as I took a good look around. It was stunning, the first thing I saw was the two flights of stairs on each side of the room, that's where Bruno was guiding us, I assumed it was where the party was happening. But if we went straight ahead, there were stairs that went deeper in, I could see a closed room with darker lights. People seemed to be enjoying themselves in more debauched way than just dancing, it made me look away quickly as I resumed our walk towards the stairs.

The hall was wide, and would be full of light it wasn't night but it wasn't warm, it would have felt unwelcoming if not for the music and laughter coming from the room above us. Large windows decorated the walls, along a few pillars, they were made of a pink rock that I did not know the name of, but it was truly magnificent. As we climbed up the stairs, a large arch welcomed us and with what greeted us upstairs I was now sure this was a palace; A great ballroom filled to the brim with people dressed their best, almost everyone men wore neutral colors, except for the few mop of heads I could see from my spot, people with blue hair, green, violet. Apart from those few colorful ones, everyone was simple, yet they were clearly all dressed to impress.

Looking around, tall windows were wide open and led to an outside terrace which seemed also pretty full of people. I tightened my hold on Bruno's arm as I came to the realization of how many people there were, I really hoped we wouldn't have to talk to each of them or else I'd probably have a panic attack before the end of this event. "Everything okay?" he asked softly just before we stepped inside the room. Acquiescing I told him I'd live, "I did not know there would be so many people, but if you're by my side I'll be good, so please don't wander off." I said with a shaky laugh, as I marched forward and entered the room with Bruno by my side. People's heads turned our way in a matter of seconds, I kept a gracious smile on my lips and looked straight ahead as we walked but those whispers around us were hard to ignore. I was almost tempted to used Penny Lane to not hear their probable judgement.

Leaning close to me, Bruno spoke in a hushed tone with a charming smile while I looked at everyone curiously, "They're looking because you're gorgeous." Pausing a moment, he continued "Of course they can look, but they should know you're mine." His words were followed by a kiss on my temple and if I wasn't in this situation I would be melting in a puddle of embarrassment. Clearing my throat, feeling my cheeks heating up ever so slightly, I didn't respond. Instead I kept my chin up and focused on going to that one spot where there were fewer people. Hearing his soft chuckle, I rolled my eyes, he was playing with me and having fun, good for him but I was a mess. But it didn't matter, I could handle it. I'm here as his plus one, so I have to act as such.

"Bucciarati!" a joyful voice interrupted us as the owner appeared in our view, it was the man I saw in the distance, the one with violet colored hair. He also wore a purple mask on his eyes for some reason, but I was not one to judge, if he liked it then so be it. "Ciao Melone, how are you?" Bruno asked as he shook the man's hand tightly, extending my hand to do so too, the bright man smiled at me and brought my hand to his lips, kissing the back of my hand before letting go. My smile was unwavering but I wanted to pull away the moment he kissed it, perhaps he wasn't a bad guy but it was also unwanted attention. "And who might you be, bella?" he asked in a flirtatious tone as he straightened his back. I could either tell me to get out of my sight, or play along and tell him. "Don't." I heard Bruno's voice next to me, as he threw a deadly glare at the man in front of us. "She's with me." It only seemed to fuel his attitude, smirking, Melone teased in a playful tone, "Oh but I'm sure we could have a great time together, don't you think-" ah fuck it.