Chapter 17 - This is it

Stirring awake I kept my eyes closed and let out a yawn as I stretched. Today's the day, uh? I thought sourly as I rolled to the side, only to find it was empty. Prying my eyes open I squinted at the spot on my right, Bruno was indeed not there. Sitting up quickly, I patted the covers to see if he was around and I was just not awake enough to notice he was there, but he was not. "Bruno?" I called; my voice was hoarse which meant I probably slept with my mouth open, how charming. The door of the bathroom opened slowly and his head peeked at the entry, his toothbrush in mouth. I chuckled at the sight then shook my head, "Nothing I- you just... weren't there" I said quietly.

Throwing my legs to the side of the bed I got up and stretched some more, at least I wasn't not going to feel sore anymore since there won't be any training. Bruno was now leaning on the door frame, but he had finished brushing his teeth and was now just looking at me with a smile. Feeling shy under his gaze I pulled at my shirt a bit and furrowed my brows at him, "What?" he smirked and shook his head lightly before speaking, "Nothing, you're just cute." He affirmed before turning back to the bathroom and closing the door. I stared at the door for a moment, surprised. Opening my mouth to speak, I closed it quickly. Scoffing in surprise I left the room with warmth on my face, is he fucking aware of how cute he is?

Closing the door behind me I fully leaned on it and let out a long sigh. "It's going to be alright. How bad can it be? I can act fake around mafiosos, I can play the role of his plus one. I can do that." I breathed, hyping myself, if I keep telling myself that I'll believe it and it's going to go smoothly, no problem. Nope, none. Pushing myself off the door, I went to my suitcase and saw it wasn't where I had left it. Frowning, I looked around the room, under my bed, in the bathroom and finally inside the wardrobe. That's where I found it, empty. At the sight of what was inside I let out a shaky breath, I felt my heart squeeze then beat rapidly. The content of my suitcase was perfectly stored inside the wardrobe, there was no note or anything but, "Shit, I'm not going to cry for that but fuck." I sniffed, a smile on my face while I took what I needed to shower.

The shower in itself wasn't that long, what took time was when I had to take care of my body once dried. Lotion, brushing my hair properly so that it'd look at least a bit sophisticated tonight. I didn't put on makeup yet since I had no idea what color the dress was, and I'll admit I believe I did not have what was necessary to paint a professional look on my face. I hardly had any makeup to begin with, but I'll make do, I had to. Once that was done, I was about to put on my shirt when I stopped midair. There's no way I'm messing up my hair by putting on that shirt, nope. I folded it and put it on the counter then grabbed the bathrobe I had used last time. He had said I could use it, so why not, right? Wrapping it around myself, I tied the knot tight so that it won't open anytime soon and left the bathroom.

When I joined Bruno downstairs, I noticed he was cooking, as usual but it seemed the quantity was bigger than usual. Standing by his side, he looked at me from the corner of his eyes with a smile, I reciprocated it and looked down bashfully, "Thank you." I said with a nudge in his side. Chuckling, he brought my head to his chest and kissed the top of it before letting go, "You've grown on me, I didn't want to let you go home just yet." He said gingerly before continuing what he was doing. Looking around I spoke again, I was curious, "Do you plan on feeding an army?" I asked while pointing at the pastas he was cooking.

Laughing sweetly, he shook his head. "Fugo was supposed to come and drop off your dress, but Narancia suggested to come too." Nodding I was about to make a remark but he continued, "Mista heard, so he thought he'd come and invited Trish. Long story short, everyone's coming over. We'll all get ready here." My mouth shaped in O, I pondered a moment. On the bright side, the dress is ready on time, but I didn't think they'd all come here before the ball. It sounds promising and wild. "That... I did not expect." I stated with an incredulous scoff. Rolling my sleeves up I looked up at Bruno with a grin, "Well how can I help you?" I asked as I grabbed an apron. He stopped me by telling me he was almost done with everything, but I could help set the table.