Chapter 33 - The Emissary

"...siting hours are over, you have to leave sir." There was the sound of a chair being pulled, it was loud. It scrapped against the floor but it felt like it resonated all around the room. I wanted to cover my ears but I couldn't move, my body wasn't responding. "I'm staying, if you have a problem, I suggest you talk about it with the person in the room next door. I'm sure Don Giovanna would be more than willing to find-" "No, no, I'll- I'll let you stay tonight. Again... Please just don't touch anything." The person next to me scoffed and reassured the calmer voice that he would never dream of it, soon afterwards the door closed and I heard the person next to me sigh heavily. "They can't do anything, it's been days... and still nothing... I knew they weren't trustworthy. Fuck." It was followed by a weight on my thighs, and I think I felt something in my hand? Everything was numb so, I wasn't really sure. I was awake, I had to try to talk, right? I tentatively tried, 'Bruno?' There was a silent, and no answer. I'm guessing he had not heard me. I suppose my voice didn't come through. I repeated the name, hoping this time he'd hear it, still nothing. Instead I tried to tighten my fist around his hand, and while it wasn't as strong as I hoped it'd be, it did the trick when the weight on my thighs was lifted and I heard my name being called softly, maybe even in panic.

"Alda? Alda- Alda are you awake? Did you just squeeze my hand?" I missed his voice; it hadn't been long since I heard it but I missed it nonetheless. With a lot of effort, and difficulty, I opened my eyes but closed them right away when the bright light from above my headboard hit my eyes. "Fuck- light." I managed to utter, my voice sore and rough. Bruno quickly understood and turned off the light before joining my side once more. I could feel he was holding back so many questions, I don't know how long I had been asleep but it seemed to be long enough to worry him. But knowing him, he would have been worried even if it had been one night of sleep. I scoffed at my mental joke and opened my eyes again, the only light that illuminated the room being the bright full moon outside. "Hey, nice nap." I said playfully, giving him a side look as I tried to lift my hand to his face only for it to fall back on the bed. He huffed a laugh and grabbed my hand, bringing it to his face as he sat back on his chair and shook his head. "When you said you'd sleep for days, I thought you were joking." He commented.

I grinned tiredly and chuckled, moving my fingers to brush them along his jaw. "Y'look tired." I mumbled, seeing the eyebags under his eyes. It broke my heart to see him like that, I knew he always slept bad but part of me felt like he also hadn't slept much since I was in this hospital. Knowing him, he probably drank tons of coffee to stay awake until I woke up. Huffing another laugh, he nodded towards me. "You're the one to talk, sleeping beauty." I rolled my eyes at his comparison, but still replied, I was curious. "How long was I out?" I whispered. My eyelids felt heavy, I felt heavy. I felt like a ton of brick, I was sore all over and didn't feel like moving and yet I wanted to stretch or do something but my body did not seem reactive at this very moment.

Looking back at Bruno, he had a serious expression on his face. He seemed to consider his words a moment, before finally saying, "10 days." I hummed, taking in the info. Ten days? For a bullet wound? Was my body that weak? It wasn't even near... no wait, I don't remember where I was shot. Was I shot in the leg? Could I walk? In panic, I look down at my feet and wiggled my toes, and let out a sigh of relief when they moved as I hoped they would. Focusing on my body, I tried to feel where it was the most painful but everything was numb, so I had no clue where it was. Looking back at my partner, I quirked a brow, "Why? Where was I shot?" Getting up, Bruno lifted the blanket from my form, then my hospital gown to show the bandages on the lower right side of my stomach. He then covered me back again, sighing. "Obviously, there were some complication. But, they were able to stabilize it and... we've been waiting for you to wake up since then." I hummed in response, thinking of what else I could ask, then there was a flash of blond hair in my head and his name escaped my lips, "Giorno?".