Chapter 19 - I'm scared but I love you

Opening the car door, Bruno entered and sat on the backseat, delicately laying Alda down, her head on his lap. "Bucciarati, what the fuck is wrong with her?" Abbacchio's voice was laced with worry as he put his arm on the passenger seat to look behind at his capo and the unconscious woman. Bruno's face was the opposite of what it had been a moment ago, he was panicking, he was sad and distressed. "I messed up Leone," letting his head hit the back of the seat he took a deep breath to calm himself down. He had to be strong for her, "She shouldn't have had to kill anyone." It earned the capo a frown from the ex-cop who started the car but still listened to the raven-haired man. "You knew it would happen, sooner or later." Abbacchio explained but Bruno shook his head in denial as he started taking the pins out of the woman he longed for. Deep down he wanted her to be able to be with him, but without having to pay the price of joining the mafia, taking a life. But he also knew it was only an idealistic thought, they came as a package.

"You should have seen her... She did it because she thought I was dead." They should've had more information on the stand users, but they only knew about Sergei's out of sheer luck when they came across him all those nights ago. The longer he stayed with her, the harder it made it for him to let her go. He didn't want to let her go, but it was what was best for her if she wanted a normal life. "Did she? Is it what she told you? To take someone's life... I think she was more distraught than anything. But she did it, and now she has to live with it, and you're going to be there for her." Leone explained in is thunder-like voice. He knew that his friend was confused right now, but he could try to help him out the best he could, "You're both going to get through this, and you're going to help her because you love her." He stated before focusing on the road. Abbacchio had a hard time with heart-to-heart talks like this, but Bruno was doubting everything right now so that's maybe what he needed.

"Yes, I do... I love her..." The raven-haired muttered with a small smile. Looking at her tenderly, he took out the last hairclip from her hair, put it in his pocket, then started running his hand on her head as she slept. Makeup had run down her cheeks but in his eyes, she still looked like the most beautiful person he'd ever seen. "It was stupid of me to think I could avoid this for her." He scoffed dryly as he brushed a hand over her cheek. He wishes could have kept her out of it, and he tried for as long as he could, but it wasn't enough. Abbacchio had to laugh, "Stop that. You did your fucking best and now you both just have to deal with it. Don't beat yourself up for this." He was bad at this, the silver-haired man had a hard time cheering people up. Usually it was Bruno or Giorno's job to do this, but he tried.

Chuckling slightly, Bruno raised his head and met Abbacchio's gaze in the rear-view mirror then smiled. "You are right, thank you Leone. You're a great friend." Which only made the older man grumble, his eyes shifting from the mirror to the road once again. Thinking a moment, Bruno spoke again, "I got carried away earlier," he began, earning a curious hum from his friend. "We had to act casual, and I just- she looked so stunning I thought- no I stopped thinking?" he continued, but the man driving the car was already holding back a laugh, he had no idea where this was going but it sounded promising. "I gave her a hickey and if-" the capo was interrupted by a barking laugh escaping his friend's throat. Bruno's cheeks flushed but he reprimanded the man in the front, telling him to quiet down. Once Abbacchio calmed down he spoke before Bruno could, "You need to get laid so fucking bad, it's painful to see." He told him, shaking his head with raised brows as he pulled up in the alley of Bruno's house. "Shut up, I can wait-" feeling the woman stir on his lap, he stopped speaking and looked at her intently.

Opening my eyes slowly I had no idea where I was, but what I knew it that I was not feeling well. Standing up quickly, I felt hands on my arm and shoulder, "Hey hey, are you good?" it was Bruno. Looking at him a moment, I shook my head. Once I felt the car stop, I stumbled out of the car and knelt violently on the ground by the plants and threw up. The noise of steps echoed behind me, Bucciarati was by my side and kept my hair out of my face as I finished getting it all out. Once I was done, I leaned back on my heels and let out a sigh as I stared at the sky, tired. "Sorry, I didn't think this would happen." I breathed out with a shaky laugh as Bruno place a kiss on my temple before helping me on my feet. "It's all good," looking up at Abbacchio who stood by the car with his arms crossed, the capo spoke, "Could you help her inside? I'm going to draw a bath." He asked softly.