Chapter 28 - What principles?

"Now that this is cleared up, let's begin. Shall we?" Giorno said with his charismatic smile now back on his lips. I admired his skill in changing his attitude so quickly, it could be simply seen as adapting, but it was also scary. As he announced the beginning of the real meeting, the only response he got from people around the table was grunts in agreement and mumblings as people opened the file in front of them. Looking down, I realized I also had one in front of me but as I was about to open it, I let my hand fall down on my lap quickly and gave Bruno a look. Hopefully it said: please take your hand back, we need both of our hands. Giving me a cat-liked grin, he made a beckoning gesture with his other hand, I checked if people were looking then handed him his hand back. I think I heard a snort coming from Mista but his eyes were now focused on the documents in front of him. Squinting my eyes his way as I opened my file, I noticed the ghost of a smile on his face, alright I got it he saw this strange hand deal. Scoffing, I looked back at Giorno who continued his speech, "Considering the information that recently came to light," His eyes traveled across the room to Prosciutto for a moment, but only shortly, before going back to surveying everyone at the table. "We were able to learn a few things about one of the remaining members of Vendetta Rossa," Pointing at the first page in the file, we all looked down, or most of us, some clearly did not want to be here nor to participate. The picture in front of me was one, of a girl with braids with blue ends just like my landlord had described. She was only wearing half her hair in a bun, and her outfit was casual enough to lay low. It did not attract attention, cargo pants and a black crop top, something anyone would wear. She seemed unaware that she was being followed or that she had been photographed. "This woman, as most of you know, was present at the ball that happened last Thursday. Although we believed to have taken her down, she was able to escape with outside help." Leaning back in his seat, Giorno placed his elbows on the armrests and joined his hands. Letting my eyes wander around the table, I observed everyone while Giorno spoke. Mista had his arms behind his head, it could be seen as a lack of interest but he was listening intently. Narancia was a few pages further than us in the file, I guess if all the information was in it, he could read it, it would be just the same as listening to Giorno. The man next to Narancia was typing heavily on the computer in front of him, I had never seen him anywhere but his haircut was special to say the least. It was very high, grey and he was even wearing a visor for some reason.

I suppose I'll ask about him later, or introduce myself? I'll see. Next to him La Squadra was half focused, Formaggio and Illuso seemed to be doing something on their phone, their head would sometimes look up from their phones to look at Giorno or ask something to Prosciutto. At least one of them was focused, I suppose he had to if he was to report back to Risotto. A bit further, towards the end of the table were Melone and Ghiaccio, they clearly were not listening at all, what was mostly happening was bickering as Melone tried to make Ghiaccio drink from his glass. I kind of felt bad for the ice-man until he froze his friend's drink, I was impressed to say the least at how quiet he had gotten mad. I would have laughed if I did have to stay composed. Only one seat separated La Squadra from two men I did not know, they seemed close, and while they were constantly murmuring things to each other, they still kept their focus on Giorno. Next to me, Abbacchio was half-paying attention, his attention being split between his phone, in all discretion, and the Don. I wondered what could be so important that a man like Abbacchio would be so 'unprofessional'. Not that I was judging him. "We've only had a vague description of her partner, and we're not even sure it could be trusted considering Chiara's ability to manipulate minds. Her stand revolves around illusions, it activates the moment you hear any kind of melody." Turning the pages in front of him, we did the same and on the paper was a picture of a reasonably big house, the architecture made it look very fancy and not something I could afford, clearly. "After following her long enough, we find out she's be staying at this address. We have yet to see if she's staying alone or with her partner, but there has been comes and go from a lot of people. Some, being a few of our men, others being strangers." Oh, that's why he was testing our loyalty... It must have hit him hard, not that he'd ever show it. Unfortunately, there are people that are bound to betray you sooner or a later, there is nothing holding them back in such a world.