Chapter 13 - Fight or flight

Waking up in the morning, I felt rested. I could feel the soreness in my muscles without even moving, but there was a weight on my body that stopped me from doing so. Feeling a breath down my neck, I opened my eyes lazily, taking time to adjust to the blinding light of the sun. Once I was able to see properly, I looked down and noticed that Bruno had his head in the crook of my neck. Still half-asleep I didn't comprehend the situation fully. Instead of pushing him away, I wrapped my arms back around his torso and smiled to myself.

I can pretend I didn't wake up, and enjoy it a bit longer, I thought in content. From the moment I laid eyes upon Bruno's sleeping form, my heartbeat quickened. The way the morning light shone on his tanned body, his usually tamed hair, disheveled, splayed across the pillow and myself. I couldn't tell if his breathing was irregular, but I could see his back rising, and falling in a calm pace. Moving one hand, I slightly touched a scar on his back, upon hearing him speak next to my ear, I quickly moved my hand.

"I don't mind, cara." Without looking, he grabbed my hand and put it back on his back. "It's comforting." He mumbled with a smile, still not moving. Hesitantly I placed my hand on his back and started drawing pattern on it, one could say I was caressing his back but that'd be too intimate. Now that he was awake, I was embarrassed to be so close to him. Should I push him off? Should I bring his face close to mine and- no. I could confess? The setting is perfect, but then when he'd reject me, I couldn't run...

Or I could enjoy it a while longer- but it seems fate had other plans. The door of the bedroom was slammed opened, there stood Abbacchio with a disgusted expression on his face. "Oh, for fuck sake, get dressed the both of you." He spat; his nose scrunched up. I felt Bruno's sigh down my neck before he sat up on the bed, looking at Leone with an indescribable expression, "Leone, get out. We'll be there in 10." He spoke in a controlled tone, I was surprised by how clear his voice was, it was almost as if he had been awake for a while now.

It all happened in the span of 30 seconds, it took Abbacchio 30 seconds to ruin all my hopes and dreams. Sitting up, I didn't realize the expression I was wearing until Bruno ran a hand along my cheek, beaming cutely at me, "Are you upset? Would you rather have stayed in bed a bit longer, cara?" my face flushed red at his words, my eyes widening. "I never said that- I was just- hearing his voice in the morning is not as melodious as hearing yours, you know?" I said quickly; Was this really a better excuse than telling him I wanted to keep him closer, longer? The cost of not admitting so, I did tell him I loved his voice, again. I should ask him to zip my mouth shut, that'd stop me from spilling embarrassing stuff.

Humming, he quirked a brow, "Melodious, hm?" he purred before leaving the bed, his body on display again. I should learn to stop staring at him when see his whole body, if I'm going to keep spending the night with him, I should calm down... but damn. Getting out of bed in a rush, I mumbled as I passed him, "I'm going to get dressed." He stopped me by grabbing my forearm and bringing me close to him, "what the-" I gasped before feelings his hands on both my cheeks as he laid a kiss on my forehead. "Thank you." He breathed in a low tone, then letting go of me as he went to the bathroom.

I was confused for a moment, what was he thanking me for? Complimenting his voice? No... Was it about last night? He shouldn't thank me; I only did what I wish someone did to me when I had nightmares. Focusing back on what I had to do, I left his bedroom and got changed in something more adequate for practice with Abbacchio. I've never gotten dressed so quick, why did Bruno tell him we would be there in ten minutes? I do not know. Once I was ready, I made my way downstairs where Bruno was chatting with Abbacchio, both standing in the living room.

I didn't join them right away, instead I sneaked around the kitchen to make myself a sandwich. I would expect Abbacchio to, once he sees me, tell me we'd start right away. I finished my sandwich quickly, after what I joined the two older men in the room. They stopped talking once I was in their view, both staring at me. "I'm ready?" I said hesitantly. Bruno nodded with a smile, "I'll let you both be, I have things to do, but I'll be quick." Grabbing his keys, he gave the silver-haired man a warning look but didn't say anything more before leaving the place.