Chapter 30

*Harley*

                           Walking hand in hand, we walk in and tell them that we are there to see Officer Jones and Officer Keith. Officer Jones approaches and shakes both of our hands.

Officer Jones: Right this way. Let's go into the office and close the door. Officer Keith is waiting.

                         I follow and it feels like the walls are closing in on me. I stop in the middle of the station and grip Bentley's hand as hard as I can. Fighting the oncoming panic attack.

Bentley: Babe, it's okay. You won't be seeing him ever again, okay? Let's go sit. Just breathe.

                       I nod and gulp before taking a few deep breaths, in and out. We both sit down and Bentley holds my hand in his lap. Kissing my knuckles.

Officer Jones: I know this is very difficult for you, but going through this now means all the memories and details are still fresh. Take as much time as you need.

Harley: Where do I start?

Officer Keith: How about at the top?

Harley: Okay....here it goes...

                        I recount everything from how I met Joey, to their previous relationship, to him showing up in Orlando. I tell them about the day at the shop, and leaving the shop. My breath gets shakey as I recall waking up in that house.

Harley: I opened my eyes and I was terrified. I knew he had taken me. Either no one was ever going to find me, or he was going to kill me.

                        I talk about everything, including the moment when Bentley beats Joey with the tire iron.

Harley: Bentley was just protecting me. Joey would have killed me.

                        I look at Bentley and smile softly, and squeezing his hand before continuing. At the end, I am breathless.

Harley: That's it....that's all of it.

Officer Keith: Very good Harley. Thank you. Now we need to hear from Bentley.

Harley: Is Bentley in trouble?

                                                                             *Peyton*

                        Peyton walks in her studio and set up the photography space for the next set of clients. All of a sudden she gets super dizzy and runs to the bathroom. On her knees, she is puking all over the place. Dry heaving into the toilet. Peyton finishes, cleans up, and gets ready for her clients.

Peyton: I guess I ate something bad this morning....ugh....

                                                                       *Acheron*

                       Acheron pulls up outside of Tristan and Bentley's apartment. He pulls the spare key out from under the mat, and drags Tristan inside. Acheron tosses Tristan on his bed and puts two aspirin and a bottle of water next to the bed before leaving.

Acheron: Stupid fucker. Always drinking excessively.

                        As he leaves, he pulls his phone out and opens the dating app. Typing out a message to Peyton, he smiles.

Acheron: "Wondering if I could take you out for coffee."

                       He pockets his phone and drives back to work.