Chapter 45

BANG

                                                                                         *Joey*

                                  Some fucker cop just walked in. He's trying to talk me down and Bentley. They won't shoot me. Bentley is arguing with the officer who keeps telling him to drop the gun.

Bentley: Officer, you either shoot him or I will.

                                  I can see the officer trying to make a decision. Bentley's eyes never leave mine.

Bentley: Close your eyes baby...

                               Baby? Man fuck this guy. My eyes lock with the officer and BANG. Everything goes black.

                                                                                            *Harley*

                           I squeeze my eyes shut. The silence is deafening in my ears. BANG. I feel the grip around my throat loosen and I heart a thump behind me. My eyes shoot open and Bentley is staring at me. He sets the gun down and grabs me before my legs give out.

                                                                                           *Bentley*

                           My eyes focus and see the hole right between Joey's eyes. The look of shock frozen on his face. Harley's eyes shoot open and lock with mine. She's going to collapse, I can see the panic across her face. I quickly put my gun down and wrap my arms around her. Just as I have her, her legs give out.

Bentley:  It's okay. Don't look. Peyton, keep your eyes shut.

Peyton: Okay!

Bentley: Harley, I have you. It's okay.

                           She's breathing quickly, on the verge of a panic attack.

Bentley: It's okay baby. I'm going to pick you up and take you out of the room. Close your eyes.

Harley: Okay.....

                          Harley squeezes her eyes shut and I pick her up in my arms. I walk past Officer Jones and take her out of the room. Officer Keith pulls me foward.

Bentley: Ash, take her. Take her down the hall. I'm going back for Peyton.

Acheron (Ash): Okay....alright....hand her here.

Bentley: Baby?

Harley: Yea?

Bentley: I'm going to hand you to Ash, I'm going to grab Peyton. I'll be right back.

                            I hand Harley over and stalk back to the room. Officer Keith puts his hand out stopping me.

Officer Keith: You can't go back in there.

Bentley: Move your hand. I'm going back in to get Peyton. She is not staying in there with his brains all over the place.

                           Pushing past him, I walk back in and walk over to the bed.

Bentley: Peyton. I'm right here. I'm going to carry you out. I want you to keep your eyes shut.

Peyton: Okay....what about my IV?

Bentley: It's okay, I'll grab the IV bag too.

                               Grabbing the bag and hanging it from my pocket, I put my arms around Peyton.

Bentley: Wrap your arms around my neck.

                               She does and I pick her up and carry her out into the hallway. I walk down to where Ash and Harley are sitting. Setting Peyton down in the chair, the rest of the police run down the hallway. I crouch in front of Harley and take her face between my hands.

Bentley: It's over. It's all over.

                               A sob escapes and she throws her arms around me. Pulling her to me, she cries in my shoulder. Rubbing smooth circles on her back, I kiss her temple.

Bentley: I love you

Harley: I love you too

                                                                                                           *Acheron (Ash)*

                            Bentley brings Peyton out and a tear runs down my face. She's safe. She's okay. He sets her down beside me and I pull her into my arms.

Acheron (Ash): You're okay. Thank God.

Peyton: I'm fine, thanks to Bentley.

                             I look at her, placing my hand on her belly, I kiss her deeply.

                                                                                                          *Nurse Amanda*

                             I'm sitting at the nurse's station and Doctor Lillith comes down the hallway and walks right into Joey's room. FUCK!

Doctor Lillith: Amanda, call the police!

Nurse Amanda: Why? What's going on?!

Doctor Lillith: He's gone! The hospital is going on lock down.

                              I pick up the phone and call the police station. Relaying the information while Dr. Lillith calls the Chief of staff and has a lockdown order pushed through. She looks at me.

Doctor Lillith: You didn't see him leave? Where were you? Not at your desk?

Nurse Amanda: I......I......

Doctor Lillith: I'll deal with you later.

                            Signaling a security officer, she has him take me to her office. FUCK

                                                                                                      *Harley*

Harley: Bentley?

Bentley: Yes baby?

Harley: Did you shoot him?

Bentley: No.....I was getting ready to. Officer Jones did.

Harley: Is he.....?

Bentley: Yes baby. He is. It's over. 

                           Sobbing I grip his shirt.

Harley: Thank god you came.

Bentley: I'm sorry I wasn't here sooner.....I was grabbing lunch for you both....I could have been here sooner....

                            I take his face between my hands and kiss him deeply.

Harley: Stop it. You saved me.....you saved us....Where did you get the gun?

Bentley: I've had it for years. I kept it locked in my safe. I started carrying it after I found you the last time.....Are you mad?

Harley: Fuck no. I am so thankful.