ONE

My eyes popped open to the sound I dreaded the most, THE ALARM.

It's 6am already?

Was the next question that came to my mind. I sat up on my bed to turn off the alarm that was still ringing loudly. I rubbed my eyes to see clearly before standing up from my bed. As I walked toward my bathroom, my door opened and my mum's head popped in.

"Hey"

"Good morning mum"

"I hope you slept well"

"Yeah, kind of"

"Have you prayed?"

"No"

"Why?"

"I just woke up"

"Better do it" my mum concluded wagging a warning finger.

"Sure mum" I replied cracking up a smile.

I'm sure you can already tell that I never prayed in the morning . My mum only asked once a day which was when I just woke up, so I always had the perfect excuse and I never had to lie.

I took my bath and got dressed for school slower than you could ever imagine while ignoring my mum's constant yelling of "Jason! hurry up!" from downstairs.

I walked downstairs and into the dinning room for my breakfast.

"Bye Jason"

I turned toward the front door and caught a glimpse of my older brother's face before he closed the front door and headed off to work. As I heard the sound of his car fade away I remembered a painful experience that refused to leave my memory.

I was twelve years old and my older brother, Alex, was eighteen and in his second year in the university studying Theater Arts. Alex was my idol and I tried to do everything he did just to please him, but it all ended on the 12th of July, 2015. Alex invited his three friends to the house and they decided to do basketball trick shots. I watched Alex as he skated down the backyard stair rail, jumped off the skateboard when it was near the end of the rail, threw the ball toward the basket and landed on his skateboard that had fallen off the stair rail and was slowly rolling away. He was so sure he made the shot that he didn't even bother to check and the cheers from his friends confirmed it.

I rushed out to the backyard with my skateboard and a basketball yelling "Alex!! Alex!! Get this on video too!". I fell of the stair rail with my skateboard before I got the chance to throw my ball. I spent about a week in the hospital and used a cast for my broken arm for about four weeks. After that everything I had for my brother ended at admiration.

I spread butter evenly on the slice of bread in my palm and covered it with another slice. My mum had already prepared my tea so I began eating immediately.

"Jason! Where is my red bandana?"

I stared at my older sister for a while before responding angrily "How am I supposed to know?"

"You used it for your weird video yesterday"

That only infuriated me more " Firstly, my video wasn't weird and secondly, I returned it! "