FIFTEEN

The walk to Claire's home was surprisingly quiet. I tried to spring up conversation severally, but Claire on the other hand did not seem to be in the mood for one. Well, I was not ready to give up just yet.

“So, do you have any siblings?” I asked.

“Yes.”

“How many?”

“Two. An older brother and a younger sister.”

“That's nice.” I paused, expecting her to reciprocate the question, but she said nothing. “I have an older sister and you've met my older brother right?”

“Uh huh.”

Remember when I said I was not ready to give up? Well, I am now.

I remained quiet for the rest of the walk, occasionally glancing at Claire who looked like she was experiencing a terrible mood swing.

“Here we are!” Claire announced, a little while later.

I stared at the massive building in front of us and asked, “This is your home?”

“Yes.”

I followed closely behind Claire as she walked in through the gate.

The entire building was painted white and it was definitely a bit bigger than mine. There were lovely flowers at each side of the front door, and I could notice a little garden on the left side of the house.

It was only when Claire asked what I was waiting for that I realized I had stopped to observe the little birds flying around in the garden.

“Let's go inside, you can stare at the garden later.” Claire dragged me by the arm through the front door.

The interior was even more elegant than the exterior. The walls were painted in white and royal blue curtains hung over each window. There was a royal blue rug in the middle of the living room beneath the glass center table. A beautiful chandelier hung above the center table and the tiles that covered the floor, glittered.

“You have a nice house.” I commented.

“Thanks.” Claire replied, and then...she smiled.

“Finally!!” I exclaimed, throwing my head backwards.

“What?”

“You smiled, your mood swing is over.”

“Mood swing? I was not having a mood swing.”

“Then why have you been so quiet?”

Claire opened her mouth to speak, then she closed it, she tried again, but she closed it.

I folded my arms across my chest. “That's what I thought.”

“I knew I heard people talking.” A voice said from behind me.

I shivered but thankfully I didn't yelp. I twirled around and met the gaze of a woman standing at the foot of the staircase.

“Hey Mum. This is my friend Jason, Jason, my mum.”

“Good afternoon ma'am.”

“Please call me Sheryl.” The woman replied. “You're the first friend Claire is bringing home, so you two must be really close.”

I glanced at Claire, her eyeballs were almost popping out of their sockets. When she noticed I was looking at her, she smiled nervously.

“I'm going somewhere, so have fun with your friend, but keep your voices down, your sister is sleeping in her room.” With that Sheryl walked toward the front door. “It was nice meeting you Jason, please do come again to visit.” She added before disappearing through the front door.