EIGHTEEN

I stood with Tyler by his locker the next day, talking about Mr Shiver's new and horrid hair cut, when suddenly,

Pop!! And then a shriek.

A hush fell over the entire hallway, and then loud laughter ensued. I exchanged glances with a hysterically laughing Tyler and smiled contentedly.

Sophia Edgar stood in front of her locker, transfixed, both hands raised to each side of her face. Her entire face, white top and upper arm evenly covered in red paint. A few droplets of the paint were mingled with her hair and splattered on her blue jean trouser.

It was an amazing sight... one worthy to behold.

Within a few seconds, she was surrounded by her friends, one of whom was Claire Davis... Weird, but what happened next was even weirder. Claire, while wearing a concerned look on her face, wiped Sophia's face with a tissue, and then guided her toward the female restroom along with the others.

The next time I saw Sophia was during lunch. It was obvious that her friends had done their best in removing all evidence of the prank that occurred earlier that day. She had a new top on and her blue jean had been cleansed of any paint splatters, but as she settled on her lunch table, I could notice some red paint lodged in her hair. A satisfied smile spread across my face, they had tried, but a little evidence of the prank was still there.

“You told me we had something to talk about.” Tyler reminded me. “You should probably get to it before Carl, Mason and Jade get here.”

“Yeah. Um, Claire wanted to find out if you had a spare room.”

Tyler had a puzzled look on his face. “Spare room? For what?”

“You know, to set up our stuff.”

“I have a spare room, but why do you guys want to use my house?”

“You live with just your mum and sister, and neither of them care about what you do.”

“Yes they do.” Tyler retorted defensively.

“We both know that's not true. You are free to do anything as long as you're doing it with familiar faces and you get home on time.”

“And it is not illegal.” Tyler added.

“That is why your house is the best place for this.”

“Fine.” Tyler sighed.

“Great.” I smiled. “You also have to pick up some stuff at her house later today.”

“How much stuff am I picking up.”

“Uh... with the way she sounded, I think you should go in your sister's car.”

Tyler groaned.

“Would you need help setting up?” I asked.

“I have known you long enough to understand that you don't really want to help.”

I smiled. “I do not.”

*~*~*~
I rushed out of the taxi and hurried into Tyler's house. I was beginning to harbor thoughts of requesting for a car since most of my Saturdays now involved me leaving my house in a taxi. I glanced at my wristwatch, hoping that I wasn't late because I could not bear to be the victim of one of Claire's scowls. It was three minutes to nine o'clock, so I had three minutes to get upstairs if I wanted to be saved from a very familiar scowl.

I pushed the front door open, greeted Mrs Peter and hurried to Tyler's room. As usual, I pushed the door open, but my face crashed into the hardwood. I groaned and pressed my palm to my hurting forehead. Why was the door locked?!!!