SIXTEEN

“Oh no! No! No!”

“Yes!!!” Claire shrieked. 

“Rematch!” I announced. 

“I can't believe you still want to play.” 

“Why not?”

“We've played ten games and you've won just one.”

“Well, this next one might be another win for me.”

“Your chances are slim.”

“Just press replay.”

We played the game three more times, all of which I lost. The only compensation I had was the wide smile on Claire's face after each win, and that was enough for me.

“Would you like some juice, you know to wash the pain down?”

“That's just harsh.”

Claire laughed. “How does lemonade sound?”

“It sounds good.”

“Alright, I'll be back.”

My phone chimed. It was text message from Tyler.

“Hey, Claire!”

“Yeah?!” She responded from the kitchen.

“Tyler just texted me.”

“Isn't that supposed to be your business?”

I rolled my eyes. “He says that if we want to make it to the concert, we should be leaving soon.”

“Oh dear, I totally forgot about that. We need to leave. Let me grab my stuff.”

She ran past me. “Hey! What about the lemonade?!” I yelled after her but she had already disappeared up the stairs. I sighed and pulled out my comb from my pocket. Combing my hair was more of a hobby to me than a necessity.

“I thought only girls have combs.”

I turned to Natalie who was observing me intently. I was a bit surprised that those words came from her vocal cords and through her lips. Unlike Claire, she was extremely quiet.

“Uh... boys have combs too.”

“I don't have any combs.” Natalie frowned. “Mum says I don't need any combs since my hair is curly.”

“That is true.” I replied.

“But all the girls in my class have combs and I don't have any, not even a little one.” The sadness in her voice was extremely clear now.

I stared at her sad large eyes for a few seconds before I cracked. “What if I got you a comb?”

Natalie's face lit up. “I would love that.”

“Great. I will get you a comb then.”

The wide smile on Natalie's face brought an even wider one to mine.

“We should leave now, but let me call my mum first.”

I turned and saw Claire standing by the staircase with her cellphone pressed to the side of face.

“It took you more than ten minutes to grab your stuff.” I said.

Claire rolled her eyes and looked away from me. “Hey Mum... I'm good. Why aren't you home yet?... What do you mean?!… But I told you I was going out this evening... I can't just do that!!… If he was home would I be calling you?!… What am I supposed to do with Natalie?!… Figure it out?! Really!!… This is so annoying!” And that was it, the call was over.