EIGHT

I sat quietly on the floor in front of my locker when school was over, replaying the events that occurred during lunch in my mind. Lunch time was always full of memorable events but this, this was unique and especially memorable: Tyler attacked Jake Kellen!

I had pinched myself severally during Spanish class, immediately after lunch time, hoping to wake up on my bed at home, but I remained seated on the third seat in the second row, beside a shockingly quiet Claire, paying zero attention to Mr Mateo's teaching. Spanish class was one of the three classes Tyler and I had in common, and for the first time since the ninth grade, he was absent.

I glanced at my wrist watch, it was twenty minutes past two which meant the final bell was rung twenty minutes ago and Tyler was still nowhere to be seen. I had to come to terms with the hard truth, he was in detention.

" Hey. "

I looked up, and saw Claire smiling at me. " Hey. " I replied, returning my gaze to the floor.

" Are you still waiting for Tyler? " She asked.

" Yeah. "

" Then I better keep you company. " Claire said and settled beside me on the floor.

" I would really like that. " I replied turning my head to face her. She had a small smile on her face and I noticed for the first time, a dimple on her right cheek. " I had no idea you had a dimple. " I remarked.

" Really? " She asked brushing her palm over her right cheek.

" Yeah. "

" I wish no one would notice it, I don't really like it.  "

" Why not? " I asked with a raised brow.

" I think of it as a deformity. "

" Well I think it's cute. "

" You're just saying that. "

" I'm serious. It looks good on you. "

Claire made no reply and we remained quiet for a while before she spoke again " How long do you think the detention will last? "

The question disappointed me a little, since I expected to hear a reply to my last comment. " An hour. " I replied and hoped that my disappointment was not evident on my face.

" Just for fighting? " she asked raising a brow.

" Yeah. The principal is really strict when it comes to punishments for any form of violence. "

" And yet there is a lot of violence in her school. " Claire pointed out.

" Why are you still in school? " I asked

" Isn't that obvious? I'm keeping you company. "

" Yeah, I know. But I was here for about twenty minutes before you came, so what were you doing within that time? "

" Oh! I was attending the press club elections. "

" You're in the press club? " I asked in surprise.

" Why are you surprised by that? " Claire asked squinting at me.

" No reason, I just never imagined it. "

" That's a reason. "

I smiled. " Who is the new press club president? "

" Yours truly. " Claire replied with a wide smile.

" That's nice. Congratulations. "

" Thanks. "

I glanced at my wrist watch again, it was thirty minutes past two.