31

Mary's Point of View
I looked out the window at the camp outside the castle. I saw Francis talking to what looked like guards. I like being able to see him. I decided once I get back all of this drama with Francis needs to be over. We have more important things to worry about than petty jealously. I know Francis would never cheat on me. My thoughts were interrupted my crying. "James my love it's okay." I picked him up. I gave birth to James nearly a month ago. It was extremely painful. But it was all worth it when I held my child in my arms. He is so perfect to me. He looks just like Francis. Blond hair and blue eyes, they could be twins. I can't wait for Francis to meet him. Francis wrote and said that I will be let go soon. Though I'm not allowed to say I gave birth, I don't know why. I suppose it's just a matter of mind games. I looked at James in my arms and he was looking up at me. He is so handsome. I pulled out my breast and held him towards it, he began eating. Someone knocked on the door. I pulled a blanket over James who was still breastfeeding. "Come in." I said, a guard walked in. "Your grace please get you and your child ready and come with me." He said "Okay." I said, he closed the door. I waited until James was done and then fixed my dress. I wrapped him in a blanket and then went outside. "I'm ready." I said, I followed him down the hall and down a flight of stairs. I don't dare ask where we are going. We walked outside, there was a gold and white carriage. "Get in." He said, I did as I was told and got in the carriage. The door was shut and then it began to move. I held James close and coddled him. He is a very good baby, he only cries when he is hungry or if he soiled himself. He just sleeps a lot. The carriage abruptly stopped. Someone opened up the carriage door. "Where am I?" I asked "You're safe now your grace." A soldier said. "Where is my husband? I want to see him immediately." I said "He is finishing up business with Queen Margot. Come with me, I'll take you to your tent." A maid said, I followed her towards a large tent. I went inside, there was a large bed and crib. I looked over at a desk and there were many papers. This must be Francis' room as well. "Your grace you have nothing to worry about, half the French Army is here. You can rest." She said "I haven't been able to sleep, I've just been watching to make sure my son is safe." I said "I know your grace, you have circles under your eyes. Go to sleep." She said, I smiled and nodded, she left and closed the curtain that was serving as a door. I laid down on the bed. It feels so good to be able to relax, finally. Even though I was treated well I was still a prisoner. I couldn't trust anyone. I closed my eyes for only a second when I heard something. I turned around and saw Francis. "Mary, you're here." He smiled, I ran to him and jumped into his arms. He held me close and spun me around. "I'm so sorry Mary, for everything. I love you." He said "Shh, none of that matters now. Come with me, I want you to meet someone." I smiled, I held his hand and led him towards James' crib. "That's our son." I smiled. Francis smiled and picked him him, holding his son close. "What's his name?" He asked with tears in his eyes. "James Charles Stuart Valois." I smiled looking at my husband and son. "James, my son." He kissed his forehead. "That's our baby, we're parents." He smiled "Yes we are." I smiled "Come, court is only a couple hours ride from here. I need to get my family to safety as soon as possible." He said "Yes, yes of course." I said, he held my hand and we walked towards a carriage, surrounded by dozens of armed guards. We got in and Francis closed the curtains. "I'm sorry about all this, but I won't allow you to be taken from me again." He said "I know, I want to get back to our home." I said, he wrapped his arm around me. I laid my head on his shoulder and I felt for the first time in so long, safe. "Get some rest my wife, you've been through a lot." He said wrapped him a blanket. I closed my eyes and immediately fell asleep in my husbands arms.