36

Francis' Point of View
I stood with my father and mother to my left and Mary holding James to my right. We are waiting to greet my sister Margot. Mary is very mad at me for inviting her and her husband but I had to. We need to be at peace with Spain again. "Mary it's going to be okay." I said "I'm not speaking to you." She said "Don't you think that's rather immature?" I asked "Don't you think it's rather immature to lie to your wife about guests coming until two days before hand." She said "Mary you know I had to welcome them to court." I said "I'm not mad because she is coming, I'm mad because you have neglected to tell me the truth so many times." She said "Mama I'm cold." James said "Oh I'm sorry my love." She said, she gestured towards a servant who handed her a blanket. She wrapped it around James. "Is that better sweetheart?" She asked "Yes mama." He said "Can we go inside soon before he catches a cold?" She asked "Mary just ten more minutes. I'll hold him if you want." I said "No, I'm fine." She said "Her behavior is your fault, and mind you she has every right to be mad at you." My mother said "I know Mother." I said, a carriage pulled up. "Mama who is coming?" James asked "No one important." She said pursing her lips. Margot got out along with her husband. Mary and my mother curtsied and my father and I bowed. "Is this my little nephew? What a handsome little boy." Margot smiled "Yes, Mary and I are very blessed to have such a healthy and active little boy." I said "Mary is pregnant with their second child as well." Mother said. "Isn't that exciting? Is that why you wouldn't travel to Spain?" Margot asked "I felt more comfortable here for many reasons." Mary said. "Well then, may we be able to go see our chambers? I'd like to get settled in." Her husband said. "Yes of course. Mother can you show them to their chambers?" I asked "Yes, follow me." She said as they walked away. I looked at Mary who was carrying a very much asleep James, which was just dead weight. "Let me take him, you shouldn't have all that weight on your stomach." I said "Here, be careful I don't want to wake him." She said "Mary you act as if he isn't my child as well." I said picking him up. "Well he does love his father very much." She said "His father loves him very much as well." I kissed his forehead. "Come on let's go inside." She said, I followed after her. She walked to my private office. I followed behind her. I closed the door behind us. "Francis when will you learn to just tell me things? The only time we fight is when you neglect to tell me the truth. I won't go through what I went through before." She said "You're right. And I know we have had this conversation before and I keep messing up but I really am sorry." I said "I know you're sorry, but that doesn't feel like enough anymore." She said "Mary please tell me what I can do." I said laying James down on a love seat, I covered him in a blanket. I went over to Mary and sat next to her. "I don't know, I love you so much, but I can't seem to trust you anymore." She said "I'm so sorry." I said "Just stop lying." She said "I swear on my life, no more lies." I said, she smiled and looked down at her stomach. "What is it?" I asked "The baby kicked." She smiled, I went over and got James. "Wake up buddy." I smiled "What daddy?" He asked "Put your hand on mama's tummy. The baby is kicking." I said "Mommy why the baby kicking you? Did you make it mad?" He asked "No James, it's okay for babies to kick when they are in mommy's tummy. But not when they come out." She said "Did I kick you when I was in your tummy?" He asked "Yes you did." She smiled "You kicked so much Mommy and I thought you had a ball in there." I smiled "That's silly! There isn't room for a ball in there!" James smiled "We were just joking, we know you didn't have a ball in there." I smiled holding Mary's hand, she held mine back. "Can I talk to the baby?" James asked "Yes you can, come out your head by mommy's tummy." She said, she did. "Hi baby, stop kicking mommy please. She is really nice." He said, Mary and I smiled at each other as James continued his conversation with Mary's stomach.