Frazel

This takes place just before Percy arrives at Camp Jupiter in SoN but Frank & Hazel don't know each other very well and Frank has full control of his powers

Also I don't know shit about American geography (like literally I thought San Francisco was a state untill five minutes ago) so San Francisco gets cold now.
°•~°•~°•~°•~°•~°•~°•~°•~°•~°•~°•~

ᎻᎪᏃᎬᏞ

I tiptoed out of the barracks, being careful not to wake the other sleeping demigods. A gentle but cold breeze persistently blew against my cheek. I pulled my jacket closer around me.

I put a blanket down on the dew covered grass by the temple of Pluto down and sat down.

I watched the sun slowly creep over the horizon, casting streaks of orange through the sky. The morning air smelled fresher then it did later in the day, it reminded me of New Orleans. I used to wake up early and watch the sun rise with Sammy.

Gods I miss Sammy.

I missed how he would light up a room just by walking in, I missed his stupid jokes, I missed how I felt around him.

But most of all, I missed having someone I could talk to easily, someone who when I was with, time slowed and nothing else mattered.

I sighed and started eating a breakfast I'd packed the night before. I couldn't remember how long I had been coming down here to watch the sun rise, sometimes it felt like only a couple of mornings but other time it seemed like forever.

Birds chirped in the trees but none got too close, the animals, like most people didn't like going near the Pluto temple.

Bitterly, I picked at my slightly-out-of-date croissant wishing Nico was here. He was one of the only one in this place that didn't ignore me.

A couple of golden nuggets surfaced by me feet.

Looking up, I saw a bird standing a few inches away from me. It was small and had red feathers. I hadn't seen a bird like it before.

I was pretty surprised to see it, as I said before most living things avoided the Pluto temple.

It looked at me curiously and hopped closer. Hesitantly I tore off a small piece of croissant and gave it to the bird. I has no idea if birds could eat croissants but it ate it anyway.

"Hey little guy" I said, my voice echoing slightly "why aren't you avoiding me?"

It was a genuine question but the bird didn't respond. Obviously, it's a bird.

I finished the rest of my breakfast and  held out my finger. The bird jumped on it eagerly.

Lifting my finger higher I said "I'm going to call you-" I tried to think of names. Sammy? No too painful Nico? Nah. A image of someone I had barley spoken to, Frank Zhang came to mind although I wasn't sure why "-Frank"

The bird chirped as if it was laughing nervously.

"Frank the Bird"

FᎡᎪNK

I perched on the edge of a branch overlooking the barracks. I had woken up early to practice my shape shifting. Today I had chosen to be a bird, there was something freeing about being able to fly (and I didn't think everyone would appreciate being woken up by a full sized dragon at 6am)

Hazel Levesque, the girl I had been silently crushing on for the better part of a month, slid out of the barracks, holding a small basket.

She seemed sad, not in an obvious way. But in the way she held herself.

I decided to follow her, I'm not sure why. She just looked like she needed someone to be there for her.

I few all the way to the Pluto shrine, I hadn't been up there before. Most people avoided it, they said it was cursed.

I watched as Hazel ate her breakfast. She seemed to be in deep thought, some gold surfaced by her feet.

I had heard rumours about precious metals appearing wherever Hazel stood, I guess they're true.

At this point I decided to step forward, still in bird form. I didn't want Hazel thinking I was a creep and spying on her.

She looked at me for a second and tore off a part of the croissant and gave it to me.

"Hey little guy" she said, her voice sounded slightly bitter "why aren't you avoiding me?"

She held out her finger and I jumped on. She brought me closer to her face
"I'm going to call you- Frank"

Did she know it was me? No she couldn't.

-

Every morning I would wake up early, transform into a bird and go see Hazel. She gave me a portion of her breakfast and confided in me.

I felt slightly guilty listening to her talk without her knowing it was me but Hazel looked like she just needed someone to talk to so I kept going.

ᎻᎪᏃᎬᏞ

I know Frank the bird was Frank the human. Let me back up a bit. Two days after I met the bird is as walking back to the barracks when I saw the bird turn into the baby faced human.

I was shocked at first, (I almost tripped the whole cohort up while marching) but I got used to the idea pretty quickly. Frank obviously didn't know I knew so I played along.

Until today when I decided to tell him.

I lay my blanket down and smiled when Frank flew down.

"Hey Frank"

the bird tweeted in response.

"I know it's you"

The bird tilted his head in confusion. "Don't do that, I know it's actually you Frank"

In the place where the small bird was now stood Frank Zhang. "How did you know?" He asked sitting down next to me.

"I saw you transform back a few days ago" I spilt the muffin I held and gave half to Frank.

"And you're not freaked out?"

"Well you're not freaked out by me" I said pointing at the resurfaced gemstones scattered around me.

W

e sat together and watched the sun rise. Time slowed and nothing seemed to matter.

But most of all I was glad to have a friend I could talk to again.

Hope all of you are safe x

Word count ~ 1046