Chapter 14

Emma shot Cole an apologetic look before picking up the phone. "Hey. If it isn't the best brother in the world" She said in a singsong voice, hoping to reduce the impact.

It didn't work.

"Don't 'hey' me. You know what you did. Why didn't you come to the family church today like you said you would?" Andrew said clearly annoyed. 

Emma let out a sigh trying to gather enough words on how she was going to explain the situation to him without him completely freaking out. Fast and painful it is.

She made up her mind and in a swift ramble she explained to him how she had found Cole injured and how they had suddenly became friends. The phone went silence for a moment before a laugh slightly tinted with annoyance, was heard from the other line.

"You really need to work on your excuses." Andrew said. Emma rolled her eyes at his disbelief. 

"I'm not joking Cole Walker is literally sitting on my couch beside me." She said shooting a glance at Cole who was now stifling an uproar of laughter.

Cole winked at her only causing Emma to glare at him before listening on the phone call. "Do I look like I wear diapers Emma? Just honestly tell me why you didn't come. I promise I won't be mad." Emma groaned, both annoyed that he didn't believe him, and that even if she told him, he would get mad, contrary to what he promised.

An idea popped into her head, causing a grin to light up her face "Hold that thought." She put the call on hold before moving closer to where Cole was sitting.

She switched on her camera and directed it towards their face. "Say cheese." She said smiling and bringing their cheeks together. 

"Banana." He said, imitating her and smiling at the camera. Emma's smile increased and she took the picture before sending it to Andrew.

"Yeah your right, this certainly looks more like Justin Bieber than Cole." She said sarcastically. Her cheeks still had the tingly sensation from where they had met his and she had to fight the urge of placing her palm on it.

"WHAT!!! Did he kidnap you! Or drug you!! Where are you? I'll be right over!!" Andrew's booming voice snapped Emma out of her daze and she laughed at his comments. 

"No he did not kidnap me in my own home." She said laughing and trying to stop him from getting his keys since it seemed like he was already half was across the room.

"Then why is he there? He didn't do anything to you did he?" Andrew said, still insistent on going over. 

"Didn't you hear when I explained it to you?" She said, sounding annoyed that she had to explain it again.

"Of course I did. But I thought you were joking." Andrew whined as though it was an obvious answer. 

"Well I wasn't. Tell Ma I'm really sorry and I promise that no matter what I'm coming for dinner on Friday." Andrew nodded though she couldn't see him. 

"Be careful though, and if you don't call me after every 30 minutes, I'm coming over, tell him I hope he gets well soon and that I know where he lives."

Emma rolled her eyes before saying goodbye and hanging up. Cole looked at her, amusement clear on his face. 

"I don't blame him, I would act the same way if I knew my sister was with someone like me, plus, he's funny." He said, shrugging and leaning back in his chair.

"Of course he is, if you haven't lived with him, he's just over protective, and you're honestly not as bad as I expected." Emma said, flashing him a reassuring smile. 

"Yep, you really don't know me Emma...Anyway, you look nothing like your brother. You must have taken your dads genes right? Cause I think I've seen your mum once and Andrew is a spitting image of her" Cole said, desperately needing to change the subject and succeeding as an unidentifiable look flashed across her face.

As soon as it appeared, it vanished, making Cole question if it was even there or not. 

"Yeah.... But that's a story for another day." She said mimicking Cole's previous words. Cole imitated her pout and she laughed once more, amazed at his odd childishness.

Cole smiled at her as her laughter reduced to giggles, her long, brown hair had slightly covered her right eye and he had to desperately fight the urge of leaning closer and brushing it away in order to view the glinting globes of hazel once more.

He glanced at the clock behind him and his expression fell. "It's getting late." He said in a slight whisper. He watched as her expression fell and he immediately hated the look on her face. 

"I guess you should be going now, we have classes really early tomorrow." She said looking down at her fingers and letting her hair fall and shield her face.

He sighed and couldn't help it anymore as he reached out and tilted her chin back up, brushing away the hair that covered her eyes. She looked back at him and he shot her a reassuring smile.

"I'm not going to disappear you know. We go to the same College." Cole said jokingly. The smile returned on her face and she shook her head at him. She reached for her phone and searched for her contacts.

"Give me your number just in-case you do and I have to haunt for you." Emma said in an almost serious tone. Cole chuckled and punched his number in before handing the phone back to her.

She smiled at it and looked back at him who was now staring at her, mirroring her expression. He stood up and extended his hand for her, she grasped it and he levitated her up.

"Thanks again Emma. For everything." He said sincerely. Emma smiled up at him and nodded, suddenly finding it impossible to speak if his body was in close range of hers. She pulled out his keys from her pocket and handed it to him as they walked towards the door, their hands still interlocked as they both didn't seem willing to let go.

They finally reached the foot of the door and Cole stepped out looking back at Emma who was still beaming up at him. Still not finding the words to say, she just waved causing Cole to chuckle as he waved back at her, turning to leave.

Emma froze, something clicking in her as she quickly turned back and saw him about to put on his helmet. "WAIT! I forgot to give you something!" She said just in time.

Cole paused, waiting for her as she quickly ran into her room.

Emma carried the item from her drawer before quickly wrapping it and running back outside.

She stopped in-front of him and handed the wrapped item.

Cole looked taken aback and shook his head. "I can't possibly accept this, I think the roles should be reversed." He said pushing the gift back into her arms. She smiled at him before her lips turned into a pout. 

"Come on. It was really hard to wrap this in the matter of seconds. If you really want to thank me, then take it." She said batting her eyelashes. He laughed and shook his head.

"Playing the guilt card I see. Touché." Cole finally took the gift from her, an amused smile on his lips as he looked down at her, Emma smiled up at him, flaunting her victory with her giggle. He shook his head in pure wonder of the girl standing in-front of him.

"Farewell princess Emma." He said winking at her before finally placing on his helmet, causing her cheeks to turn a shade of red at the nickname. 

"Farewell knight Walker." She waved at him and stepped back as he started the engine and rode off into the darkness, this time Cole being fully aware of the light that awaited him.