Chapter 31

Cole adjusted the collar of his grey and black long-sleeved flannel shirt for the hundredth time as he stared at himself in the mirror. He didn't know why, but the thought of walking into a church unnerved him. He could walk into the middle of a gunfight or a mob that was possessed and throwing knives around, but a church, a church was a whole new issue.

He racked his long, thick dirty blonde hair with his fingers and let out a sigh. He couldn't believe he was actually going. Most of the reason he was going was just so he called see Emma, but there was another part, a part of him that he couldn't quite explain, and that part wanted to go, needed to go, and he had absolutely no clue as to why. He adjusted the silver Rolex watch on his wrist and glanced at the time.

The grey and black flannel shirt slightly clung to his skin along with the black jeans he wore and a pair of grey casual lace-up shoes placed on his feet. He walked back into his room and picked up the pink Bible that lay open on his bed.

He smiled down at it and shook his head. I can't wait to see the looks on people's faces as soon as I enter a church for the first time in years and also holding a Bible for teenage girls.

He picked up a pair of shades and put it in one of his glass cases before going downstairs and heading out the door. Cole stood and looked at the vehicles in front of him, having a mental war with himself. Car or Motorcycle? He thought for a minute before moving towards the car. 

They are already going to look at me funny, let's not add to their suspense.

He sighed as he entered the car and started the engine. He glanced at his phone that stated the address of the concert before starting the car.

Cole let out a sigh, already missing the feeling of the calming breeze that he got when he rode his bike, causing him to roll down the windows. He honestly didn't care about what anyone thought about him, they could think he was going to kidnap them all and he wouldn't give a dime.

It amused him little, the look of fear he saw in people's eyes when they glanced at his face. He didn't know why, but he found it funny when people ignored the saying; 'Don't judge a book by its cover.'

Sometimes it would get you into trouble and sometimes it would save you from trouble, and that was one of the things he disliked about Religion. He didn't care whether Christianity, Islam or whatsoever, all of them did that.

They would look at someone and assume; "This one is clearly not a believer." And although it amused him sometimes, it annoyed him most of the time. Just because a spider looks scary that doesn't mean it's going to bite. And then the most humble-looking of them all, would end up being the ones that have the sharpest claws. He sighed and shook his head. Look who is talking about people with claws.

The church building came to view and Cole took a turn as he parked among the cars in the parking lot. He wore his shades and stepped out already feeling the surprised stares at his back. He shoved one of his hands in his pocket while the other hand held on to the pink Bible, battling with the urge to flip them off, he decided against it.

Cole walked into the large church center and sat at the far end row where not many people would notice him. A few heads turned and Cole pulled off his shades showing his dark grey eyes, that already held a certain authority, and causing them to quickly turn away.

He rolled his eyes and began scanning the area for the main reason he was here. Emma. He double-checked before accepting the fact that she either had run late or she just wasn't coming. He let out a sigh. 

This thing better be incredibly beneficial.

The lights began to dim and Cole slightly slouched in his seatm, awaiting what would happen next. The loud but slow beating of a drum was heard before everywhere went silent. All of a sudden, there was a loud screech and Cole raised his eyebrows up in surprise. 

This better not be some kind of weird cult or something.

Blue light flashed on the stage and a shadow of a man appeared. Everyone in the place just stood up and started clapping and cheering, Cole let out another sigh and forced himself to stand up.

A man wearing denim jeans and a dark blue shirt appeared, a large toothy smile plastered on his face. 

"SOMEBODY SHOUT HALLELUJAH!" The congregation shouted in response and began to clap wildly. 

"Ok so that clap was for me, thank you very much..... NOW CAN SOMEBODY PUT THEIR HANDS TOGETHER FOR THE ALPHA AND OMEGA, BEGINNING AND END, ROCK OF ALL AGES, I AM THAT I AM-" His voice was cut off by the thunderous claps of the people in the church as they screamed and shouted.

The clapping finally settled down and the guy on stage gestured for them to sit down after he said the starting prayer. The lights began to go back to normal and the room got brighter. 

"Where did all the lights come from?" A tiny voice said and the people in the church laughed. Cole couldn't help chuckle himself and he unconsciously looked for where the voice had come from, he finally caught sight of a little girl.

His breath hitched in his throat as he spotted who was with her. 

Emma. 

Cole watched in amusement as Emma smiled at the girl and gestured for her to keep quiet, her smile brightened her already lit face and Cole didn't know why, but he could feel his chest do a somersault at just one look at her.

He stared as she carried her and placed her on her lap. It was the voice of the man on stage that brought him out of his trance. 

"Hello everyone. To those of you who don't know me, my name is Pastor Jeremiah Arcob, or, Jeremy. I would like to start this concert by reminding you..... There is nothing you go through that you cannot overcome."