Chapter 42

Emma stood in front of Cole, her arms wrapped around her body as she shivered from the cold. She didn't know why she had come, she just came, she just felt like she had to go anywhere except for her home, go to anyone except for herself, and Cole was the first one that came to her mind.

Her eyes met his which were looking at her as though she was his long lost imaginary friend that had suddenly come alive.

Before she could even gather enough words to say anything, she felt Cole pull her in with his arms tightly wrapped around her small frame, holding her as though if he let go she would suddenly fade away.

Emma let out a sigh and leaned into him, swimming in his warmth.

She felt relieved, he hadn't said anything yet and he still could make her feel relieved, relieved in the comfort of his warmth and radiating care that hugged her whole body.

After what seemed like ages, he finally slightly released his grip from her but still held her only inches from him. A small smile played on his lips as he gazed down at her, Emma wanted to smile back, but she couldn't, she felt too weak to even stand up on her own and she fell once more into Cole's arms. That was when he noticed that she was looking worse than how he had left her.

Her eyes had swollen ten times more and the bridge of her nose looked as though someone had placed a heating iron on it. Her lips slightly quivered and Cole realized that they were still outside in the cold.

With his arm wrapped around her shoulders, he guided her into the house and they sat on the couch as Cole held both of Emma's hands in both of his.

"Are you cold? Can I make you some hot chocolate?" Cole asked the level of his worry clear in his voice. Emma slowly nodded in response and Cole quickly got up and disappeared into the kitchen.

That was not what she had expected, she wasn't very surprised when he had let her in, but what surprised her was the question he had asked, she was expecting him to ask her why she had come or what happened or ask her to tell him everything, but he didn't.

It was like he had forgotten about the resting home incident, he was giving her a choice, he had given her a choice on whether to come to him or not and now that she had, he was giving her a choice to tell him what was wrong, and by the looks of it, he was willing to wait.

Cole came back with two mugs of coffee in his hand, he handed Emma one before sitting next to her, watching as she let out a sigh of satisfaction as the sweetness of the creamy liquid burst around her taste buds and warmed her up.

"You like it?" Cole asked a small smile on his lips as he watched her. She managed to smile back at him and nodded in response, still trying to gather enough energy to talk.

They just sat there in comfortable silence, sipping their cups of hot chocolate. No questions were asked and no comments were made, only the feeling of a shared comfort.

Emma subconsciously leaned closer to Cole causing him to put his free hand round her shoulders and draw her nearer as she melted into his side, still fighting for another wave of warmth.

"Should I get a blanket?" Cole whispered desperately trying to make her as comfortable as possible. Emma wanted a blanket, but she didn't want him to stand up and leave her again, she felt like if he let go of her he would suddenly go missing.

She hesitated before nodding again in response and he gently let go of her before disappearing up stairs.

Emma leaned her head back against the couch, trying to restore the comfort that had left, she groaned in annoyance before using her feet to push of her shoes and placing both her legs on the couch in a sleeping position.

The couch seemed almost as big as her bed if not bigger and she couldn't imagine why they made some sofas just so gigantic.

Only seconds past and she heard the sound of small footsteps behind her before the feeling of a sudden warmth engulfed her whole body as the soft baby blue, cotton blanket gently hugged her skin and she saw the dim figure of Cole begin to walk across the parlor.

The place had become dark and he had assumed that she had gone to sleep. She wanted to sleep, but her thoughts won't allow her, they kept screaming in her head, clouding her brain and clogging any form of sleep and she knew the one way to finally dispose of them.

"Cole," Emma whispered causing him to pause in his steps and look at her. She wanted to tell him, tell him everything, to share her worries and her story with him.

She had made her choice.

Jesus, help me trust him. You've shown me that this time I have to speak out before this fully goes away, please speak through him and remind me of your power and grace.

Emma closed her eyes before letting out a breath she didn't know she was holding, she tapped the spot beside her and rose up the blanket indicating for him to lay down beside her, watching as he hesitated before finally walking towards her and taking the position.

"Emma, you don't have to tell me anything if you feel like I'm obligating you to." Cole said quietly. There was a long pause and Emma closed her eyes.

Holy Spirit, give me strength. She finally opened her eyes and was met by Cole's deep grey ones looking deep into hers.

"I went to the Rest home....to visit my mum."