Chapter 51

There was an unspoken tension that filled the room as the three friends looked down at Cole's pale body.

Although they knew that he was alright, it still felt awkward to see him in that position; laying on the hospital bed with a white sheet sprawled across his body, as though he was in an autopsy room and they were trying to figure out the cause of death.

It was quite nerve-racking and highly unsettling, so of course, Andrew was the first to break the silence, feeling uncomfortable with the whole situation.

"Hey, Cole, it's Andrew." He said, attempting to clear some of the anxiety.

Cole's body didn't shift as they walked towards him to sit by the chairs beside his hospital bed.

"I don't think he can hear you, since he's still unconscious." Emma said, leaning forward and examining Cole's features.

His face had become deadly pale, and the bags under his eyes made it look as though he hadn't slept for days.

"Don't you watch it in movies when people talk to the patients in the hospital even though they're unconscious? Maybe he can hear us but he's too tired to talk" Andrew said, shrugging as though that was the most sensible thing ever.

Emma just shook her head and didn't shift her gaze from Cole. She was glad he was okay, and she internally thanked God for providing the narrow escape, but he just seemed off. Something wasn't normal, and it wasn't just the tension in the room, it was something else that she just couldn't point.

"Andrew's right, it beats just sitting here and sulking as though we actually lost him. We should be thankful that he's still alive, though he looks like a zombie." Angel said, smiling and nodding at Emma to reassure her.

Emma finally glanced up at Angel and let out a sigh. She really wanted to talk to him, but it just felt so weird not to hear his voice in response.

"Hi Cole, Its Emma..." She paused and looked up at Angel, not really knowing what to say. Angel smiled at her and nodded her head.

"I'm sure he's just tired, you'd be surprised he could hear us." Angel said, causing Emma to smile and drawing a huff from Andrew.

"I don't get it, when I say something, everyone brushes it off, but when someone else says exactly what I said, that person is the next Isaac Newton." Angel rolled her eyes and was about to say something in response before they all paused as shuffling was heard.

They turned back to look at Cole who had changed his position from lying on his back, and was now turned on his side and facing them with his eyes still closed.

Andrew took this as a chance to try again and called Cole's name again, still getting no response.

He sighed and leaned his head against the wall as he mumbled things under his breath, causing Angel to laugh at his now grumpy mood.

"Cole? It's Angel." Cole seemed to battle with opening his eyes as he let out a hum in response, causing Andrew to huff in annoyance.

"So he hums for you and ignores me." He mumbled under his breath once more, before closing his eyes. Emma rolled her eyes at her annoyed brother.

"I'm sensing a lot of negativity around your area." She said pushing her hands towards him, trying to get rid of the 'negativity' assuming it would cause Cole to magically arise.

She turned back to focus on Cole and let out a satisfied sigh as she saw a smile slowly form on his lips, although his eyes were still closed. His lips parted and he took in a deep breath that made it look like he previously wasn't breathing at all.

"Cole?" Emma whispered, having the feeling that if she spoke any louder he would somehow shatter into pieces.

His eyes finally fluttered open and he turned to be met with Emma's deep brown ones that were filling up with tears of relief.

"Hi" Cole said as he slowly raised his hand that wasn't connected to some machine, and cupped Emma's cheek, using his thumb to gently wipe a tear that slid down it. She let out a sigh and a smile formed on her lip.

"You're okay?" Cole paused, contemplating that question, was he okay?

At the moment he honestly didn't know how 'okay' felt but decided to nod slowly, seeing that it was the only way to keep the smile on Emma's face.

"I'm okay." He sighed and closed his eyes once more.

Everything felt heavy, talking, moving, keeping his eyes open, even the hand he was using to cup Emma's cheeks felt like a bag of cement.

He unwillingly lowered it causing it to fall against her lap. She locked her hand with his, still looking up at him.

"I'm so sorry Cole." She sighed as she gently stroked his hair, massaging his scalp in the process.

His shut eye's tightened at those words.

Why's she saying sorry? She did nothing wrong, I should be the one saying sorry... and thank you.

He wanted to tell her.

Tell her he was the one that is meant to say sorry, tell her that she did nothing wrong and he was so grateful that she was even there, tell her how sorry he was all those years that he had mocked her and made fun of her because of her beliefs.

The same beliefs that saved him.

He wanted to tell her, but he couldn't, even the simple 'hi' had taking so much energy. He was tired, his whole body felt heavy and he deeply needed rest. He didn't want to fall asleep, and he was battling with opening his eyes once more.

He just wanted to look at her, just get lost in her eyes and find comfort in the brown pool of warmth that filled them.

But he was losing the battle of sleep, and the fact that she gently massaged his scalp, didn't help matters.

He let out a sigh of defeat as he slowly succumbed to the sweet slumber calling him.

Cole's eyes suddenly flashed open at the gasp that emitted Emma's lips.

He turned to see her staring down at his hand that was entangled with hers and his eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"What happened to your wrist?"

He took in a sharp breath as he felt a shiver run down his spine due to Emma gently grazing the fresh sore imprinted on his flesh.

His memory flashed back to the darkness, the feeling of the chains wrapped around him and the desperate urge to just give up the fight.

He let out another sigh as his eyes drifted back shut, just the thought of it, the thought of that helplessness and fear, made his whole body weak again as the sleep finally began to take over once more.

"Later." He said, and with that, he was gone.