Chapter 45

"No, look, it's literally pronounced samon not salmon. The 'l' is silent" Angel said rolling her eyes in annoyance at Cole as the four of them walked out the library doors. They seemed to have been stuck on the subject of words for an unknown reason.

"Then why put the 'L' though? What's wrong with it just being samon?" Andrew asked, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"Exactly." Cole said chuckling and shaking his head, enjoying Angel's frustrated state and Emma's annoyance.

"Because that's how English is." Emma said crossing her arms and letting out an annoyed breath.

"But why is it like that?"Cole insisted, a grin playing on his lips as he took pleasure in being the fuel of the situation. 

Weeks had passed and Andrew, Angel, Emma, and Cole, had spent most of their time together.

It still surprised Cole that they even talked to him. He had mocked them for quite a long time and it just seemed incredibly odd that after all his raw criticism and harsh words, they still accepted him as a friend and treated him like he was their brother from another mother.

He wasn't complaining, he liked it, he liked having company that didn't willingly infest the environment with their intoxicating puffs of smoke and the compulsive stench of alcohol, he liked hearing thoughts and various prospects on things that actually made sense and not having to be surrounded by the blabber of complete rubbish, he liked being surrounded by people that shared various views even if they didn't always align with his, most of all, he liked them, and he never thought that it was ever going to be possible.

His smile widened at the thought, he had friends, and something in him that he didn't know he had, reassured him that these were true friends.

Just to make sure that he wasn't having some kind of dream, he casually swung his arm over Emma's shoulder pulling her closer to his side, causing her to giggle and smile up at him.

She was like a reminder, a reminder that there was still light, that there was still a gleam of happiness in him, that he wasn't completely engulfed by the darkness that seemed to flood him at times.

He gazed down at her and felt as though his heart melted into an overwhelming pool of liquid and the feeling of the warm fluid spread round his chest causing his whole body to go in a state of comfort, just because of a smile and giggle, her smile and giggle. His smile widened more if possible just by looking down at her.

Emma leaned into his touch before turning her focus back on Angel who seemed to have had a sudden light bulb moment.

"Guys, I just had a great idea!" Angel said her eyes widened as though she was about to reveal something huge.

"We should have like a little outing!" Andrew's eyes furrowed in confusion and mirroring the look on Cole and Emma.

"But why?" He finally asked.

Angel looked at them as though they had asked her the dumbest question in the world. She rolled her eyes after a long pause, realizing that they still had no idea.

"Duh, we are practically at the end of the semester and now we only have like a year left to graduate. We have to celebrate!" She said slightly jumping in excitement causing Emma to giggle and shake her head.

"But when exactly are we going to have this outing? Everyone's schedule has been completely filled this week." Andrew said and Cole nodded in agreement.

The week had been unnecessarily hectic since it was the end of the semester, the professors and lecturers were handing out projects like they were charity workers and the students were the people in poverty.

Angel paused in thought for a minute before her face lit up again in realization.

"We can do it on Friday! There's a board meeting going on for all the staff, so we can quickly go during the free period." She said folding her hands in defiance.

"So say we actually get the chance to go, where exactly are we going?"Andrew said, still not seeing how her plan was going to work out. Angel thought for a moment before a wide smile formed on her face.

"A fair!" Everyone seemed to have paused, expecting her to say she was joking.

"We are celebrating our last days of college... at a fair... for kids?" Cole said as though saying it slower would make him understand her concept of reasoning. Emma shot her a questioning look also trying to understand where she was going with her plan.

"Do I have to explain everything? Since we are ending College and finally, fully, beginning the rest of our lives, we should end it by doing something really fun and carefree! Like going to a fair! Surrounded by all the past memories we had as kids and stuff!" Emma paused, thinking and processing the advantages.

"That actually makes a lot of sense, and on the plus side, it's better than waiting for teachers in class all day." Emma said trying to influence Andrew and Cole who still had a look of slight doubt on their face.

"Yeah, beats class, and there's Candy Floss." Andrew said raising an eyebrow at Cole who still seemed unconvinced. Cole shrugged and sighed.

"Okay." Angel beamed, satisfied with everyone's response.

"Great! So we're all in! Friday it is!" She said punching the air a look of victory in her eyes. Andrew chuckled and shook his head, draping his arms round Angel's shoulders.

They walked on and continued sorting out the basic details of the plan, suddenly freezing as they heard a painfully familiar voice directed at them.

"What a beautiful coincidence seeing you here."